Why won't my cake not cook properly?!

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new here. I've been baking for some time but still always learning. At the moment, I'm trying to bake a 10" Victoria sponge but I just can't get it right. I think it's the size, normally I bake 8" or smaller and have no problem. I've baked two 10" Victoria sponges today and both have gone horribly wrong! The mix looks just right but when it comes out the oven and cooled, I cut it and the centre looks really dense, almost uncooked, with lots of large air bubbles. I'm using a 300g mix and I've tried varying temperatures each time but it still comes out as I've described. Anyone got any suggestions? I would really appreciate it!
Thanks

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new here. I've been baking for some time but still always learning. At the moment, I'm trying to bake a 10" Victoria sponge but I just can't get it right. I think it's the size, normally I bake 8" or smaller and have no problem. I've baked two 10" Victoria sponges today and both have gone horribly wrong! The mix looks just right but when it comes out the oven and cooled, I cut it and the centre looks really dense, almost uncooked, with lots of large air bubbles. I'm using a 300g mix and I've tried varying temperatures each time but it still comes out as I've described. Anyone got any suggestions? I would really appreciate it!
Thanks

i’m not sure what you mean by 300 g of mix. Are you using a box mix?

If you’re using a box mix you’ll need to refer to the manufacturer’s methods for scaling up properly.

The difference between an 8” & 10” is significant. The multiplier that is used to scale up is 1.56.

The holes in the cake are normally caused by improper mixing. Usually a problem with your creaming method.

It’s also a sign of you’re batter not being properly emulsified. Which is a mixing problem. You didn’t cream the butter and sugar properly, then beat the eggs into the butter properly.

Ask a Question