Wilton Color Mist

Reaction score
Hello. I have the Stencil Genie and just started using it with Wilton Color Mist on a cookie with royal icing. What is the trick so the color mist does not run? Also, do folks have airbrushing machines and how do they work compared to the Wilton Color Mist?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 756
Reaction score
Well, the mist is watered down food coloring. It is going to run or "bleed", no matter what you do.

Air brush machines, depending on what kind you get, are better at "painting" on cakes than just plain bottled mist/spray colors. Everything is adjustable (or should be) on the air brush, so you can control what happens better than just spraying from a bottle or can.

Air brush machines can be expensive, and you can get some cheap ones off ebay, but the really good ones usually start around $200.00.

Of course then again, unless you are using this machine several times a week, it will be a waste of money.

If you use stencils, you might look at using food color paste and artists brushes. You have more control and the color is in paste form, so you can control how much you use and how it is applied to the pastry.

Either way, as with all things, practice makes perfect.

Reaction score
Well, the mist is watered down food coloring. It is going to run or "bleed", no matter what you do.

Air brush machines, depending on what kind you get, are better at "painting" on cakes than just plain bottled mist/spray colors. Everything is adjustable (or should be) on the air brush, so you can control what happens better than just spraying from a bottle or can.

Air brush machines can be expensive, and you can get some cheap ones off ebay, but the really good ones usually start around $200.00.

Of course then again, unless you are using this machine several times a week, it will be a waste of money.

If you use stencils, you might look at using food color paste and artists brushes. You have more control and the color is in paste form, so you can control how much you use and how it is applied to the pastry.

Either way, as with all things, practice makes perfect.

Thank you so much, ChesterV! I just started making cookies in December, so this is very helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thank you so much, ChesterV! I just started making cookies in December, so this is very helpful!

You are welcome. If you look a the thread "Cake Decorating Trends for 2016", you will see some pics of some painted pie crusts.

If you are a good artist, you can use food color paste and art brushes to paint your own pastries and cookies.
Using stencils is also better when using food color paste and brushes or sponges to dab on the color via the stencil.

If you look at some of the other decorating threads, I think I have posted on one with food color pens and markers.....which can be used on pastry and cookie surfaces.

Ask a Question