wood pulp in grated cheese

Reaction score
I read this and was surprised
"The grated cheese you've been sprinkling on your spaghetti may not be what you think it is. In fact, you may be eating a derivative of wood pulp."

http://www.local8now.com/content/ne...edium=social&utm_source=facebook_WVLT_Local_8

"Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s Great Value 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese tallied 7.8 percent"

I guess it isn't a 100% then :)

evidently there is 2 to 4% wood pulp in grated cheese , the green bottle and others I assume

Reaction score
I read this and was surprised
"The grated cheese you've been sprinkling on your spaghetti may not be what you think it is. In fact, you may be eating a derivative of wood pulp."

http://www.local8now.com/content/ne...edium=social&utm_source=facebook_WVLT_Local_8

"Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s Great Value 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese tallied 7.8 percent"

I guess it isn't a 100% then :)

evidently there is 2 to 4% wood pulp in grated cheese , the green bottle and others I assume

I saw the headline, but thought it was referring to the 'cheese product' type items, not ones labeled 100% grated cheese, and that upsets me. I don't think I have any of this in my kitchen, but I'll check when I go downstairs. I really wish the government would focus on keeping/getting us healthy by preventing this sort of thing, and stay the heck out of other matters.

Reaction score
Yuck! My local pizza place actually has on their pizza box "made with real cheese" and I always thought to myself "umm...is there such a thing as non-real cheese?" and I guess it turns out there is! Awful!

Reaction score
I saw this all over the internet last week. I just don't know what to believe. I saw it soon after I read that the chicken wings for the Superbowl might have been rat wings or something like that. I don't know what to believe these days.:( I later heard that was a hoax.:confused:

Reaction score
I saw this all over the internet last week. I just don't know what to believe. I saw it soon after I read that the chicken wings for the Superbowl might have been rat wings or something like that. I don't know what to believe these days.:( I later heard that was a hoax.:confused:

It also kind of reminds me of when people said McDonalds apple pies were actually made of potato pieces flavoured to taste like apple. I think that was just one of those weird urban legends around these parts!

Reaction score
Yuck! :eek:

We don't use much Parmesan at home, but I've got in the habit of always having a wedge of it in the fridge, and I just grate off what we need. It keeps really well - and is certainly better than wood pulp!!

Reaction score
Yes, it is true.

You would be shocked at what "fillers" there are in most processed and packaged food items.

BUT..... in order for us humans to have the perfectly shakable cheese in the bottle/can, such as shakable parmesan cheese for pizza and spaghetti.....it must have something mixed in with it to keep it from clotting.

"100%" cheese in reality means it is at least 90% cheese. The "government standard" says anything that claims to be "100%" should be at least 93% or more of whatever the main ingredient is.

I learned all this back in high school...WAAAAAAAAY back in the 1970's.

There are fillers in just about everything....from milk to cheese, from bread to sugar, from cereal to soup, from bologna to ground beef.

Fillers can be anything from sawdust (wood pulp) to water or chemical additives.
Depending on what the product is, will depend on what kind of fillers it has.

Reaction score
I think I will do as Becky is doing and just use the wedge cheese,it tastes a lot better and it did last really good

now Bella,rats have tails not wings ,it is Buffaloes that have wings lol I'm just glad I'm not the one that has to trim them off of them :)

Reaction score
I think I will do as Becky is doing and just use the wedge cheese,it tastes a lot better and it did last really good

now Bella,rats have tails not wings ,it is Buffaloes that have wings lol I'm just glad I'm not the one that has to trim them off of them :)

If you want to grate your own cheese, then that is good.

You can also make your own grated cheese at home. If you are like me and have a food processor with a grate attachment, you can grate your own.

If you want to make a large quantity of grated cheese, and then keep it in the fridge, you can use a bit of corn starch in your grated cheese to keep it from clumping up.

I would suggest filling a plastic container half way up with grated cheese (one that has a tight lid) and then sprinkle one teaspoon of cornstarch over that. Place the lid on the container tightly and then shake it up gently. This will get the strands of cheese coated with cornstarch so they dont stick together.

Reaction score
no I don't have a food processor,but I am handy with my box grater :)

Well, if you got the arms for it!!!!!!

zAjvonm.jpg

Ask a Question