Would you ever bake professionally?

Reaction score
I really enjoy baking because it gives me a release from the stress that life brings my way from time to time, but I could never do it for a living. I think a lot of joy would be taken out of it if I had to do it to earn an income. Would any of you ever consider baking professionally?

Reaction score
I tried finding ways to get my own bakery for many years when I was younger. Nobody would help me out, and nobody would give me suggestions. So, after about 15 years, I just gave up.

Every place I went to for a small business loan told me that I HAD to have at least $100,000 in the bank before I could get a small business loan. I'm like WTF????? If I had THAT kind of money, I wouldn't need a LOAN!!!!!

I live in Texas, and you can have a home food business from your house, if you get certified by the local Health Department for doing a food business from a home, but I live in an apartment, which is illegal to run a business of any kind out of an apartment. So, I just gave up on the idea.

Reaction score
I am baking simple and easy cakes and pastries just for my family and friends but I have no intention to bake professionally. It always makes me feel happy whenever I saw them satisfied while they are eating my baking goodies and it is already an accomplishment for me.

Reaction score
I doubt I would even want to. I think it would be bad for my health. I am a 'picker' and I can't imagine myself being around so many goodies and not wanting to take a bite of just about everything. I think I could easily be a professional cook, but the baking....no.

ChesterV, what you are saying sounds crazy. What kind of bankers do you have over there? Like you said if you had that kind of money you wouldn't need the bank unless it's for double the amount.

Reaction score
I don't think I would. Firstly I'm a perfectionist and secondly I don't work well under pressure! Baking is enjoyable for me because I do it as a fun thing, a hobby...turning it into a job would take away the relaxing nature of it, and add a heap of stress.

I'll keep going with it just as a hobby, I think!

Reaction score
No, I am not that good a and working for someone else in this field sounds so stressing. Maybe if I had my little shop I would, but I'd still think it's kind stressing having to make things work and praying to good my business is successful.

Reaction score
Nope! :) Not good enough and even though it looks fun - I assume it is way more work than anyone lets on!! The baking shows always make it look so easy! But I am not talented enough - I would rather just watch other people bake and eat the fruits of their hard work! LOL :)

Reaction score
Many years ago I lived in Germany,, my husband was in the Army and stationed at Pirmasens. There was nowhere to get American style cakes so I started making and decorating ones for my childrens birthdays, holidays, ect. When someone brought their child to my house for a birthday party they always commented on the cakes and wanted me to bake for them. Before I knew it, I had a small business going. I did not do it anymore when we returned to the States because there was not the demand. I did enjoy doing it while in Germany and often thought about the possibility of going to work in a bakery, but with small children at home I never did.

Reaction score
That makes no sense to me. If you had 100k in the bank wouldnt you just use that and avoid the interest on a loan? I guess you could do what Paula Dean did and just start out from your own kitchen and work your way up. I know there are health laws involved though.

Reaction score
I tried finding ways to get my own bakery for many years when I was younger. Nobody would help me out, and nobody would give me suggestions. So, after about 15 years, I just gave up.

Every place I went to for a small business loan told me that I HAD to have at least $100,000 in the bank before I could get a small business loan. I'm like WTF????? If I had THAT kind of money, I wouldn't need a LOAN!!!!!

I live in Texas, and you can have a home food business from your house, if you get certified by the local Health Department for doing a food business from a home, but I live in an apartment, which is illegal to run a business of any kind out of an apartment. So, I just gave up on the idea.

I hate the rules banks and loan companies have in place. If we had money we'd just use that. If you're still interested, you could check with SCORE and see if they could give you any hints/advice about how to go about starting your business, and they also provide mentoring services.

No, I wouldn't, because I have hand/wrist issues, and wouldn't be able to bake full time. I enjoy baking at home, although I do a lot less of it than I used to, for those reasons.

Reaction score
hell yea I can do it:)if there is a market for sandwich bread and a lemon or apple pie,I can make those pretty good lol,I do have 1 bread loaf pan and 1 deep dish pie pan and a crappy electric stove,so I should be able to pull it off :)

Ask a Question