Would You Let Kids Eat From A Cake With Alcohol?

Reaction score
I wonder because I know that during the baking process, the actual alcoholic content goes out of the alcohol, leaving just the taste. I have heard from people who still consider it would not be fine to give to children. I don't get it -- I mean, okay, they might not like the taste, but what is the problem then? It's not like they'd get drunk.

I guess I might be a bit more reluctant about sweets with non-baked alcohol (like spreading rhum syrup or chocolate with alcoholic filling!)

Still, I remember it made me feel pretty grown up when I was a kid to eat such things.

Reaction score
I don't think there would be anything wrong with a child eating a cake with alcohol, where the alcohol has been cooked out and/or evaporated, leaving just the flavour. However, I don't know if kids would really like the actual taste, as I think it's an acquired taste even with some adults.

My fruit cakes are always laced and fed with alcohol, so wouldn't be suitable for kids to eat, but I've made fruit cakes with the alcohol baked in, and no feeding afterwards, and my sister's kids didn't like the taste at all. I guess it just depends on the child and whether they like it or not.

Reaction score
I would give my kids a baked or cooked item that has alcohol because it cooks out. I don't see anything wrong with it because the alcohol is just a flavor enhancer. I would not give them something with alcohol if it was not cooked.

Reaction score
If it's bsked there's nothing harmful about it for them. Usually the flavor used is combined with other flavors so it isn't as strong as it would be by itself. I've never had alcohol but I always liked the rum flavored chocolates.

Reaction score
I would be uncomfortable giving a child with any alcohol in it and I'm sure in some places they would not be allowed like schools. I don't like alcohol in my baking anyhow, as I like things to be as plain as possible. Even with chocolate, I don't like any with alcohol in as I think it ruins the taste and omit if from any recipes.

You can never be sure of the reaction of a child and alcohol. I have a Chinese friend and one sip and she is bright red. To me it's not worth the risk.

Reaction score
I was typing that I wouldn't encourage it and then I stopped. For me to not say a definitive "no" I'd have to see some sort of proof that it is harmful. At first glance I was thinking of it becoming an addiction but I would imagine for it to be such, the child would have to fed the cake on an ongoing basis. Doesn't seem likely. Further if it will burn out as someone mentioned it should not be a problem whatsoever.

Reaction score
Nothing wrong in my opinion, isn't like I add tons of alcohol when making a cake or a dessert, plus the alcohol evaporates with the heat, so no probs at all :) I don't see adding alcohol to a dessert as an issue when cooking for children, after all things like stew also call for some red wine ;)

Reaction score
I don't see any harm in giving children anything cooked with alcohol in it since it is cooked out. The only time I would say it wouldn't be okay is if the frosting you make for the dessert has alcohol in it. Any other time it wouldn't be a problem as long as the frosting is friendly for everyone.

Reaction score
With a traditional rum cake, the alcohol added to the cake batter does not completely cook out. There's about 45% of the alcohol remaining after baking. Letting the rum cake sit over night does allow some of the alcohol evaporate. Rum cakes are usually baked with 1/2 cup of dark rum in the batter, then another 1/2 cup of dark rum used in the glaze put on as a soak after the cake is baked. I usually make my rum cake at night then let it sit overnight before serving it. I do this because the cake is just so much better this way. It has nothing to do with alcohol content. Evaporation is just a perk. All that said, I am going to allow my 11yr old daughter eat a piece of a rum cake I'm baking tonight. One slice out of 16 from a cake baked in a bundt pan is not going to harm her or get her drunk. I think it's harmless. Just follow your own intuition. I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Nothing wrong in my opinion, isn't like I add tons of alcohol when making a cake or a dessert, plus the alcohol evaporates with the heat, so no probs at all :) I don't see adding alcohol to a dessert as an issue when cooking for children, after all things like stew also call for some red wine ;)
I agree with "nothing wrong", but you are mistaken about the alcohol evaporating with the heat. About 45% of the alcohol remains after baking. With a rum cake there's half a cup of rum in the cake, but there's also another half a cup of rum in the glaze. Even with rum cake, I see nothing wrong with letting my kids eat a slice. There still not enough alcohol in a slice to do anything. None of my kids have ever gotten tipsy.

Reaction score
Actually, alcohol being cooked/baked out of foods is yet another kitchen MYTH.

There is nothing wrong with kids having something made with alcohol, but it has to be up to the guardians of the kids to decide. If the kids are like me, most of them will be turned off by the taste and alcohol content.

The ONLY thing that will fully evaporate out of any cooked or baked item, is water.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index...doesnt-really-cook-out-of-food-in-most-cases/

:)

Ask a Question