Would You Make A Savory Pie Like This?

Reaction score
I make a savory pie called a French Meat Pie. It has ground beef, ground pork and onions in it. When the meats are brown you add mashed potatoes to hold it together. It is seasoned with salt, pepper and allspice. Pour it all into a pie shell, put the top pie crust on and bake until brown. My family loves this and it is just as good eaten at room temperature.

French Meat Pie

Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground turkey or beef
    1 pound ground pork1 large onion, thinly sliced1 cup mashed potatoes2 teaspoons ground allspice1 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon pepperPastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)1 egg, beaten, optional
Directions
  1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
  2. In a small bowl, combine potatoes and seasonings. Roll out half of pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Fill with meat mixture.
  3. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with egg if desired. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.Yield: 8 servings.
Serves 8

Reaction score
I was looking at recipes on Pinterest and saw this recipe for a savory tomato pie that has red onion ,herbs and cheese.
Would you every bake a savory pie like this one?

http://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/2014/07/tomato-pie.html

It doesn't appeal to me that much, but it's kind of like a quiche without the savory custard to hold it together. It might be a bit tomato-y for my tastes. Are you going to try it?

I make a savory pie called a French Meat Pie. It has ground beef, ground pork and onions in it. When the meats are brown you add mashed potatoes to hold it together. It is seasoned with salt, pepper and allspice. Pour it all into a pie shell, put the top pie crust on and bake until brown. My family loves this and it is just as good eaten at room temperature.

French Meat Pie

Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground turkey or beef
    1 pound ground pork1 large onion, thinly sliced1 cup mashed potatoes2 teaspoons ground allspice1 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon pepperPastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)1 egg, beaten, optional
Directions
  1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
  2. In a small bowl, combine potatoes and seasonings. Roll out half of pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Fill with meat mixture.
  3. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with egg if desired. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.Yield: 8 servings.
Serves 8

I like the sound of this pie! I think the allspice would give it a lovely flavor. I don't do too many pies, but tend to stick to things like steak and kidney. I think it might be time to try something new this coming autumn. ;)

Reaction score
I love experimenting with savory pies. I sometimes go on the hunt for new recipes to try out especially when it is could outside. This is a new recipe I have not seen before I have fresh tomatoes and I may have to give this one a go.

Reaction score
You guys are going to think I'm crazy, but I think this burgers and fries pot pie looks great. My kid would totally eat this.

http://cocinandoconalena.blogspot.com/2011/02/burger-and-fries-pot-pie.html

Burger+and+Fries+Pot+Pie.jpg

Ask a Question