Glass or Metal Pans: Which is Better for Baking?

Reaction score
Would you rather use glass or metal pans for your baking? I admit that I prefer glass pie pans, loaf pans and square pans for my baking rather than the metal ones. The glass pans are easier to clean and I find that they don't stick nearly as badly as the metal pans do. Does anyone else find this to be true?

Do you prefer to bake in glass or metal pans?

Reaction score
I prefer glass pans in almost every instance. The only real cons with glass is that they are heavier, which is kind of annoying when you are loading and unloading a lot of stuff from your dishwasher. The other issue I've had on rare occasion is that the glass dish will sometimes shatter when taking stuff out of the oven. I think this is more of a problem with certain versions of Corningware though from what I've been reading. it's only happened to me twice and thankfully nobody was hurt.

Glass can hold up to rough cleaning much better than metal pans, especially when something is really baked on. Metal pans start to rust and chip, particularly if they have non-stick coating. Glass is also better if you are making stuff like a baked pasta dish, and you don't want to worry about the metals in the pan reacting to the acid in the tomatoes. I also like to be able to see how the food is coming along while it is baking - it's a little easier to tell if something is done or not since you can see the sides of it.

Reaction score
I mainly prefer metal unless making a hot dish, or what non Minnesotans call a "casserole". My main preference comes from the fact that I am incredibly accident prone and am way more likely to drop and break a glass pan than a metal pan. And I've always felt like metal pans had an easier grip to them.

But yeah, metal is much more difficult to clean sometimes compared to glass. That's my only downside.

Reaction score
Would you rather use glass or metal pans for your baking? I admit that I prefer glass pie pans, loaf pans and square pans for my baking rather than the metal ones. The glass pans are easier to clean and I find that they don't stick nearly as badly as the metal pans do. Does anyone else find this to be true?

Definitely would prefer parchment over foil. I do always use foil for my baked potatoes though:) I've been trying to forego everything when I can, for just cooking spray in the interest of saving the use of either.

Reaction score
I have no idea what it is about it, but I'm strictly metal. I have glass in the cupboards collecting dust that I rarely use for serving certain things, but for baking I always instinctively reach for the metal. I wonder why that is. Even now that I'll likely think about this the next time I bake, I will still avoid the glass.. I just don't want to use it for some reason. So weird lol.

Oh and parchment all the way :)

Reaction score
I believe metal is better heat conductor, but I certainly use glass to bake some items and food, but metal for bread, cookies, and cakes. Only exception are pays and only because someone gave me a set of glass molds for them.

Reaction score

I love love love glass pans but since I've moved out of my moms house, and being in college, it's more cost effective for me to use cheapo metal pans lol

Reaction score
I would rather use glass then metal. I've found that my food baked in glass came out better then in metal. I don't know why it does but there must be something happening.

Reaction score
@OhioTom76 You have summed it up so well! Bravo!

@MyPaperBleedsInk You sound like me. Trust me I have broken 3 or 4 glass dishes in my time spent cooking..... So embarrassing it is!

@Josie you should try using some of your glass pans..... you might be surprised.

@MyDigitalpoint yes now I use metal for cookies and cakes. I sometimes use glass for pies as well but it depends on if I am making the crust or cheating and buying one.

Reaction score
@Alrikidokie Our local MaxWay was having a sale of all Anchor glass products for $5 each! I so wish I could afford to go buy me a few items.

@TheViper I feel mine turn out better in glass as well. Plus the clean up is so much easier for me.

Reaction score
Definitely would prefer parchment over foil. I do always use foil for my baked potatoes though:) I've been trying to forego everything when I can, for just cooking spray in the interest of saving the use of either.

I have used parchment over foil as well but what about glass versus metal?

Ask a Question