Wrinkled doughnuts

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve been making doughnuts for around a year now and keep encountering the sam problem. After frying my doughnuts and left to rest the crust/skin seems to wrinkle up. When icing them this appears through the icing instead of looking smooth. Any ideas why they wrinkle? Could it be they are proofed for too long before frying?

recipe is as follows

500g very strong bread flour
50g caster sugar
40g unsalted butter
120ml of milk
100ml of water
14g instant yeast
10g salt
Two eggs

Steps

1. Ingredients combine in mixer
2. Knead in a mixer for two minutes
3. Turn out on table and roll into a ball.
4. Left to rise in an oiled bowl, covered, for 1-2hrs, doubled/tripled in size .
5. Knocked back and placed in fridge overnight
6. Morning, removefrom fridge and roll out until about 1/2 inch thick.
7. Cut and Rolled into balls about 60g each
8. Left to rise again for about 1-1 1/2 hrs. At this point an indentation in the dough will remain.
9. fry in sunflower oil for 2mins each side at 160 degrees. I find frying any higher results in a brown crust and doughy uncooked centre.
10. Drain and rest and then the surface wrinkles when cooling.

help much appreciated. Happy baking or frying!

ps. I also find if I use cutters my doughnuts don’t appear to rise as well and after frying they are firm and not so fluffy. Is that because of the dough being cold and and compressed too much when rolled out?

many thanks

Matt

Reaction score
Can you post pics?
I sure can. I only have the one though. I can post more when a fry a new batch if it helps. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• C45383B5-112A-42B7-9524-E180BDB59FA4.jpeg
    C45383B5-112A-42B7-9524-E180BDB59FA4.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 71
  • 970351AF-6A0F-4953-A76C-880F84A916E6.jpeg
    970351AF-6A0F-4953-A76C-880F84A916E6.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 68
Reaction score
It's a cooling defect, possibly also a leavening defect. What are the temperatures of:

- dough temp before frying
- frying oil temp (and frying time)
- cooling area ambient temp

Reaction score
It's a cooling defect, possibly also a leavening defect. What are the temperatures of:

- dough temp before frying
- frying oil temp (and frying time)
- cooling area ambient temp
Hi,

so the doughnut temperature would be around 18-20 degrees Celsius. Around the temp of my kitchen. I fry early morning and it’s around 18-20 degrees at that time.

frying oil temp 160 degrees Celsius. I find that if I fry any higher then that doughnuts brown too quickly and can remain raw inside.

I fry for around two minutes each side.

Ambient temperature of cooling area, my kitchen, will likely be higher after frying around 25 degrees Celsius.

thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Humidity and temperature are what I would focus on.

A suggestion is to cool the fried donuts in an oven with the light on, to achieve a slow and dry cooling period. I think your ambient weather is playing havoc with the donuts.

Reaction score
Humidity and temperature are what I would focus on.

A suggestion is to cool the fried donuts in an oven with the light on, to achieve a slow and dry cooling period. I think your ambient weather is playing havoc with the donuts.
Hi Chassis, I made some again this morning and I have noticed that the crust has separated away from the dough, forming air pockets; giving it the wrinkled look. This is just under the surface. Any idea of the causes for that to happen?

Many thanks,

Matt

Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Can you post more photos, showing both the wrinkles, and the inside of the doughnut (cut in half with a serrated knife)?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve been making doughnuts for around a year now and keep encountering the sam problem. After frying my doughnuts and left to rest the crust/skin seems to wrinkle up. When icing them this appears through the icing instead of looking smooth. Any ideas why they wrinkle? Could it be they are proofed for too long before frying?

recipe is as follows

500g very strong bread flour
50g caster sugar
40g unsalted butter
120ml of milk
100ml of water
14g instant yeast
10g salt
Two eggs

Steps

1. Ingredients combine in mixer
2. Knead in a mixer for two minutes
3. Turn out on table and roll into a ball.
4. Left to rise in an oiled bowl, covered, for 1-2hrs, doubled/tripled in size .
5. Knocked back and placed in fridge overnight
6. Morning, removefrom fridge and roll out until about 1/2 inch thick.
7. Cut and Rolled into balls about 60g each
8. Left to rise again for about 1-1 1/2 hrs. At this point an indentation in the dough will remain.
9. fry in sunflower oil for 2mins each side at 160 degrees. I find frying any higher results in a brown crust and doughy uncooked centre.
10. Drain and rest and then the surface wrinkles when cooling.

help much appreciated. Happy baking or frying!

ps. I also find if I use cutters my doughnuts don’t appear to rise as well and after frying they are firm and not so fluffy. Is that because of the dough being cold and and compressed too much when rolled out?

many thanks

Matt
Yes its over proofed to the extreme. I'd say the recipe is bunk.
If you require the dough to sit 24 hrs because of some production requirement then it should not have a first rise in the bowl at room temp, it should be mixed and chilled immediately, it will rise whilst chilled overnite.
but seriously...I wouldn't bother.

So, at step 5 fry them instead of retarding overnite.
Roll dough out even, let relax 2 minutes and cut donuts.
Have the oil ready and hot, they will proof very quickly at this stage.
The problem will disappear.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I proof overnight to that I can make them first thing in the morning and deliver them early to friends and family. I’ll get rid of the first rise and chill the dough straight away. Thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I proof overnight to that I can make them first thing in the morning and deliver them early to friends and family. I’ll get rid of the first rise and chill the dough straight away. Thanks.
How did you get on with putting the dough straight in the fridge. I’m having a similar problems with my doughnuts, troubleshooted a lot but nothing seems to work. Thanks :)

Reaction score
How did you get on with putting the dough straight in the fridge. I’m having a similar problems with my doughnuts, troubleshooted a lot but nothing seems to work. Thanks :)

Yeah so my process now is

1. Make the dough in the mixer until smooth and elastic.
2. Remove from mixing bowl, and form a ball.
3. Lightly oil the bowl. place dough in the bowl and put in fridge (4 degrees Celsius) and leave overnight (no first rise).
4. In the morning, I remove the dough from the bowl and roll out straight away from its inflated state. I don’t knock back and roll it - as doing it that way the dough is harder to roll out as it shrinks back and you have to keep letting it relax before trying to roll it again to the thickness you require.
5. Cut them using cookie cutters (for ring doughnuts), or weigh out 60g of dough for each and roll into a balls to make filled doughnuts.
6. Let them double in size, covered. Sometimes if it’s a fairly cold morning I let them double size In the oven with just the light on to give it some warmth. Then fry at 160-165 degrees Celsius for around 2mins each side or until golden.

For some reason I don’t experience the problem anymore.

Hope that helps. Although I don’t really know why it’s now working out fine.

Any other questions, let me know and I will see if I can help.

Thanks,

Matt

Ask a Question