Wrong interlayer for a no-bake cheesecake

Reaction score
Made a no bake mango cheesecake, basically a cream cheese mango mousse with a gelatin stabilizer and a mango gelatin topping
I though a thin dark red raspberry interlayer would be pretty, so I warmed some jam and spread it across the mousse (already a bad idea to put a warm jam on a cool mousse) ...beneath the topping
A few hours later, maybe not enough I went to serve. Hot wet cloth around the spring form to help the release (probably another bad idea); never-the-less...
Unmolded... the sides collapsed and the topping slid off
Ya just can’t call that rustic

any suggestions ?
( the mess Is hiding in the freezer )

o
And just caught another probable mess:
Recipe called for 5 sheets of gelatin.
I had thought that 5 was about 1 packet
I’m now reading it’s not at all a linear relationship, and at best 3 sheets to a packet, so 5 sheets should have been more 2 packets

Oh dear.
Call it a loss.
Make ice cream with it;
Move on to the next.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Made a no bake mango cheesecake, basically a cream cheese mango mousse with a gelatin stabilizer and a mango gelatin topping
I though a thin dark red raspberry interlayer would be pretty, so I warmed some jam and spread it across the mousse (already a bad idea to put a warm jam on a cool mousse) ...beneath the topping
A few hours later, maybe not enough I went to serve. Hot wet cloth around the spring form to help the release (probably another bad idea); never-the-less...
Unmolded... the sides collapsed and the topping slid off
Ya just can’t call that rustic

any suggestions ?
( the mess Is hiding in the freezer )

o
And just caught another probable mess:
Recipe called for 5 sheets of gelatin.
I had thought that 5 was about 1 packet
I’m now reading it’s not at all a linear relationship, and at best 3 sheets to a packet, so 5 sheets should have been more 2 packets

Oh dear.
Call it a loss.
Make ice cream with it;
Move on to the next.

welcome to the forum. And I’m so sorry about your no bake cheesecake. Yes one envelope of gelatin would not be enough if the recipe calls for five sheets of gelatin. You might try turning it into a frozen pie by putting it in graham cracker or ginger snap pie crust.

Yeah those kitchen disasters unfortunately never in no matter how much experience you game. Back in February I baked a cake for a friend’s birthday. Normally I tape the cake board to my turntable. I don’t know why for some reason I didn’t do it this time. When I took the cake out of the refrigerator to box it it’s slid off the turntable and on to the floor. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ask a Question