Xanthan Gum use for Bubble Waffle batter!

Reaction score
Hello,

Can I please get some advice on how to use xanthan gum to stabilize batter? I want to add to my bubble waffle batter so that I can still use it after a few days. I don’t know how much I should add. And at which step should I add it?
Thank you all!!

Faye

Attachments

• AC6EC071-1C8C-476E-9603-67962D80B64B.jpeg
    AC6EC071-1C8C-476E-9603-67962D80B64B.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 127
Reaction score
Hello,

Can I please get some advice on how to use xanthan gum to stabilize batter? I want to add to my bubble waffle batter so that I can still use it after a few days. I don’t know how much I should add. And at which step should I add it?
Thank you all!!

Faye

I think you are confused as to what a stabilizers is and why it’s used in baking. It keeps commercially produced batters from separating. It is only used in mass factory production when batters are being pumped through automated equipment to ensure a consistent viscosity. That way the batter isn’t thin/thick in some areas. It flows through the equipment evenly and it deposits evenly in the receptacle.

But xanthan gum is also thickener. If you add it to a batter it’s going to change the viscosity of the batter significantly. That’s why xanthan gum is used in gluten-free baking as a substitute for gluten. It serves as the glue if you will to hold things together. If you add it to your waffle batter it is going to completely change the texture. As it sits, the xanthan gum will cause it to thicken into a paste. You actually have to formulate your waffle batter with xanthan gum in it from the beginning.

There are no guidelines for using xanthan gum in a waffle batter. But the guidelines for cake is 0.10% - 0.30% of the flour weight. But again these guidelines are for commercial production of a cake.

I would experiment on the low end Mix 10% xanthan gum base on the weight of the flour in with your dry ingredients.

Ask a Question