Yeast Donuts

Reaction score
Bread flour or AP?
Does anyone have a foolproof recipe? I won't have a scale, so anything in weight will not help.
Any hints on how to get a great texture?
I made them last year and they were really eh. I'd like to make some that are amazing.
(I'm going to do jelly.)

Reaction score
Bread flour or AP?
Does anyone have a foolproof recipe? I won't have a scale, so anything in weight will not help.
Any hints on how to get a great texture?
I made them last year and they were really eh. I'd like to make some that are amazing.
(I'm going to do jelly.)

I’ve used the recipe on ChristinasCucina’s site about 6 times with good results.

I prefer AP flour. I really didn’t see any improvement with bread flour.

As far as tips,
  • I make sure the liquids are at least 95°.
  • I like to use active dry yeast.
  • Instead of adding everything together and mixing, I bloom the yeast in the water mixed with 1/2 tsp of the sugar. I mix the buttermilk, egg, and melted butter separately. Mix the yeast into the dry ingredients first, then add the buttermilk mixture.
  • For proofing, instead of turning the oven on for a minute, I place a pan with a couple of inches of boiling water in the oven before I even begin to mix the dough. Not a lot of water since you don’t want it too humid.
  • When placing the doughnuts in the hot oil, I slide the doughnut in with the parchment paper. Then as the doughnut fries, I use tongs to remove the paper.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I think bleached flour produces a lighter, fluffier doughnut. More and more I’m going back to using bleached flour for cake, cookies, and pastry. For these applications, I just like the results better with bleached flour. For pies, rolls, breads, etc, I still used unbleached flours.

https://www.christinascucina.com/perfect-yeast-doughnuts-sugar-filled-jam-nutella-cream/

Last edited:
Reaction score
This recipe was amazing. The donuts were gorgeous, soft and pillowy. They could have been not just from a bakery, but a good bakery. We made caramel, raspberry and rose water glazed.

Attachments

• 20171224_160554.jpg
    20171224_160554.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 576
  • 20171224_160456.jpg
    20171224_160456.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 576
  • 20171224_160452.jpg
    20171224_160452.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 585
Reaction score
My brother only let me make 4 glazed. The rose water glazed were greeted with initial sceptism. They ended up the favorite so I'm including the recipe. 1 c sugar, 3/4 c water, 1 T Nielsen-Massey (or the brand of your choice, but this is the best I've tried and it stays intact if you don't use it quickly.) Rose water.

Bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring to disolve sugar, and simmer 15 minutes
Add rose water and cook 5 minutes more.

Ask a Question