How to Know if Dry Yeast is Activated in Bread Recipes?

Reaction score
I recently began baking bread. I've had great success with recipes where the yeast is bloomed in liquid. This is easy because you can see when the yeast is activated. A lot of recipes call for the yeast to be added to the dry ingredients and warmer liquids. These recipes scare me. How do you know that the yeast is doing yeasty stuff? How else is the process different with the yeast in dry ingredients?

Reaction score
I recently began baking bread. I've had great success with recipes where the yeast is bloomed in liquid. This is easy because you can see when the yeast is activated. A lot of recipes call for the yeast to be added to the dry ingredients and warmer liquids. These recipes scare me. How do you know that the yeast is doing yeasty stuff? How else is the process different with the yeast in dry ingredients?

Dissolving yeast in lukewarm water was the standard until three or four years ago. Old manufacturing techniques produced a much larger yeast granule that required dissolving before use. Many mistook that process for proving the yeast. While you can see the yeast activity, the real purpose of mixing dry yeast in water was to dissolve it.

Since recent improvements in manufacturing techniques produces a much smaller yeast granule, yeast no longer needs to be dissolved before use. Interestingly, instructions on packaging still directs bakers to dissolve the yeast. Instant yeast was actually developed to be added directly to dry ingredients.

But you can certainly prove ("prove" is not a typo) the yeast if you are concerned about its viability. Simply use 60g (2 oz; 1/4 cup) of the liquid to prove the yeast. If there is no liquid in the recipe, prove the yeast in 60g water, then add a bit more flour to the recipe. Active dry yeast (ADY) is slower to activate, so you will need to give ADY more time to prove.

Since yeast is a living organism it's important to use yeast not more than 6 months old. After opening, store yeast in an airtight container either in the refrigerator or the freezer. Yeast should be used within four months if stored in the refrigerator; six months if stored in the freezer. Since I purchase yeast in one pound sacks, I frequently have more yeast than I will use in 6 months. I have used yeast that has been stored as long as nine months without any noticeable loss of activity.

ADY and instant/ rapid rise yeast can be used interchangeably. However ADY takes longer to work. Also, for a long rise, refrigerated dough, or if you intend to freeze the finished dough, do NOT use instant/rapid rise yeast. Instant/rapid rise yeast is a different strain of yeast and a much smaller granule size. So instant/rapid rise yeast activates about 50% faster than ADY. If you use instant/rapid rise yeast in a long ferment, the dough will be over-proofed.

There is also a flavor difference given the different strains of yeast. ADY is much more mild. Instant/rapid rise yeast can give off that "yeasty" flavor and scent.

The type of yeast does matter when making a sweet dough. While yeast feeds on sugar, too much sugar will in fact inhibit yeast development. As a living organism, yeast requires water to reproduce. Sugar is hygroscopic, so it directly competes with the yeast for water in the dough. If there is more than 60g (2 oz; 1/4 cup) sugar per 140g (5 oz; 1 cup) of flour, the sugar will inhibit yeast development by robbing the yeast of water. That's why sweet doughs take forever to rise.

SAF Gold yeast is a strain that requires less water to reproduce. So SAF Gold is the best yeast to use in sweet dough. Do not use SAF in low sugar doughs.

If you don't bake a lot of sweet doughs, Red Star Quick-Rise is a good yeast to stock as it works well in both low sugar and sweet doughs.

SAF and Red Star are the same company. It's the more common brand used in commercial bakeries. Red Star makes a yeast called Platinum. Platinum is instant yeast mixed with dough enhancers. The enchanters creates a dough which is much more forgiving and creates incredible rise. So the home baker can achieve that bakery quality rise.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's a lot of information on yeast - much of which I didn't know despite making yeast breads for years. You have a formidable amount of knowledge in cooking/baking. Are you a professional?

Reaction score
Hey Margot,

I do not bake professionally. I started baking about 20 years ago. The first cake I brought home from a baking class was good, but so ugly my ex husband said, "That cake taste amazing, but it's got to be the ugliest cake I've ever seen!" But in my defense, it was real SMBC. It was the middle of July in Washington DC, so crazy hot and humid. Even the instructor had a mess of a cake. But I have to admit my cake looked beyond sad.:oops:

But by that Christmas I was baking cookies that were both delicious and beautiful. People wanted to know what bakery I bought them from, not believing I baked them. By then, I was pretty hooked on baking.

I'm largely self-taught, but I have taken cooking and baking classes along the way. I began with classes from specialty retailers like William Sonoma and Sur La Table. Then moved on to extensive classes and workshops offered through culinary schools including CIA at Greystone and the San Francisco Cooking School. The director of pastry arts at the San Francisco Cooking School is Nicole Plue, recipient of the 2010 James Beard Award for Outstanding Pastry Chef. So the classes there are taught by pastry chefs who work or have worked in the top restaurants in the nation. The benefit of taking a class or workshop from those who work commercially is they teach professionally techniques. And I've been in a lot of commercial kitchens as well. So I've learned to do things the commercial way.

I continue to read extensively on baking, especially baking science. And I bake 3 - 4 times a week to put that knowledge into practice.

Baking is a passion, well maybe an obsession.

Reaction score
Oh, Wow!!! You really got the baking bug, didn't you? I just stumble along, finding recipes and trying them out. If they have promise, I might revamp them into something better. I did make a carrot cake that came to church with me yesterday. It was okay. The frosting saved it from not-so-great.
Working full time for 40 years as a nurse and raising a family without a helpful partner kept me pretty busy. A severe back injury cut my work life short. I had hoped to work till 67 or later. But while recovering, I was found to have breast cancer. This cut my back recovery down to nothing and I never got fully back on my feet. We don't have places around here that teach classes. A Wm Sonoma store yes, but not Sur la Table. New England is a little backward in that respect. I'm a comfort food type of person. Not big on spices that have unfamiliar flavors, but I'm great on the apple pie circuit. Meatloaf, chicken pot pie and chili type meals are more my favorites. I did try my hand at cake decorating, taking a course for that. Arthritis in the hands kept me from excelling there, so I just do the little things necessary on birthdays and the like.
We both seem to have an ex. Do you have a family to cook for now? I'm alone, so much of my cooking goes to church things. Last night was a Lord's Supper where we give a free meal to any that need one or who wants just to have some socialization. I made a corn salad for that and that not so great carrot cake. I also brought two watermelons cut and chilled. It's very satisfying to see your creations disappear.

Reaction score
Congrats on kicking Cancer's ass. I'm a bc survivor too. (16 years) One concern I have as a survivor is the correlation between cancer and sugar, but then the correlate cancer with everything these days , so what the hell. After all, a party without cake is just a meeting.

In other baking need, I've recently made these white bread recipes and both have smelled perfect, had nice crusts and soft interiors. The problem is the crumb is too short (not sure that's the right terminology, but how else to describe it?) What's going wrong? Is it a recipe issue or execution problem?

Ask a Question