Yellow Rice Cake Disaster

Reaction score
I will attach the photo of my yellow rice cake which did not turn out as I was expecting. As you can see it looks more like flat bread than a cake. I am not sure if the pan was not the right size, or if it was the fact that I substituted stevia for sugar. The taste was very good and we ended up eating it with a very spicy Avo/Mustard dressing and salad I made. The sweet and salty tasted good together. Does anyone know what might have been the problem?

Attachments

• P5150020.JPG
    P5150020.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 540
Reaction score
Do you have the recipe?
I just used my better homes recipe: 3 c. flour, 2 c. sugar, 1 T baking powder, 1.5 c milk, 1/2 c. margarine or butter softened, 1.5 t vanilla and 2 eggs. But now I am seeing some recipe's on the internet that suggest steaming rice cake. This is a topic I have been wanting to look into for some time: steamed cakes, so maybe next time I'll try that and see how it turns out. I still feel there is a way to get it to bake in the oven better though. One recipe suggested tapioca flour which I think would help the grainy flour to stick together better and help it to rise.

Reaction score
I've never heard of trying to bake rice flour cakes before. If you were expecting it to rise like regular bread, my experience is that it won't in the oven because the gluten isn't there. It will become nice and fluffy if you steam it though.Have you ever had Chinese siopao?

Reaction score
The Splenda substitution could be a big part of the problem.
I found this article http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/...rs-have-embraced-it-2694044.php#photo-2163615
You will see how flat their Splenda brownies and cupcakes came out.
They suggest adding nonfat milk powder and extra baking soda to help the rise.
Interesting.

Thanks! I'm going to check that out and add it the next time I make something with a sugar substitute in it. I read part of it and laughed when it said, 'it came out like a bathroom tile' lol That is about what my bread looked like. But I still maintain the taste was right and unless I'm serving up posh clientele at an elite restaurant, I don't mind it looking a little flat.

Ask a Question