Yogurt

Reaction score
I have always eaten yogurt even we I was little. Now that yogurt has grown in popularity is getting pretty pricey. I have seen yogurt maker on the market and I wonder if is worth the money to buy one . Has anyone here tried making their own yogurt , how did it turn out was it worth the effort?

Reaction score
I have not tried making it, but I would think it would be easy, like making a soft fresh cheese. Yogurt is getting very expensive and it is sad because it is my kids favorite treat. They especially like greek yogurt.

Reaction score
I started making my own yogurt about a year ago and it is simple! You'll both be able to do it no problem, and you won't have to buy any machines either.

This is how I make mine:

2 litres of whole milk (you can use semi skimmed milk, but the end result won't be as thick)
8 tablespoons of live natural yogurt (as fresh as possible)

I use organic variants of each of the ingredients.

1. Take the yogurt out of the fridge to allow it to warm up a bit.
2. Heat the milk to 185 degrees F, the place the pan in a bowl of cold water and take it down to 112 degrees F.
3. Add the 8 tablespoons of yogurt to the milk and whisk in well.
4. Transfer the mixture into clean, sterilized jars, I put mine into 250ml jars as in the picture below, but you could use larger or smaller jars if you wish.
5. Put your jars into a cardboard box lined with a towel and tuck the towel all around your jars. Leave for 8 hours in a warm place - I put mine in my airing cupboard.
6. Unpack and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours to chill and set fully.

I usually serve mine with homemade granola, muesli or fruit compote. Or, you cold have a drizzle of honey or any other flavor you like with your yogurt.

You can also use this yogurt to make your next batch, and so on and so forth.

I'm happy to give any more help, if you need it.

Attachments

• IMG_20140825_142549.jpg
    IMG_20140825_142549.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 424
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this recipe. Looks like it would be much cheaper to make your own yogurt as opposed to purchasing it at the store. What is the texture like in your homemade version? I would really love to make some greek style yogurt, but I am not sure how to go about getting the thickness.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this recipe. Looks like it would be much cheaper to make your own yogurt as opposed to purchasing it at the store. What is the texture like in your homemade version? I would really love to make some greek style yogurt, but I am not sure how to go about getting the thickness.

You could make a lot of your own yogurt before you would need to buy another yogurt to use as a new starter again. So, it does work out much cheaper in the long run. Plus, you have the reassurance of knowing exactly what's in it.

The texture of my homemade yogurt is quite thick, but if you stir it up in the jar, it will go a bit thinner. This is because there is a little whey liquid that separates out from the yogurt once it's made. To get it to Greek yogurt-like texture, you could strain your yogurt through a sieve lined with muslin cloth. Be careful not to drain it for more than a few minutes though, or you will end up with cheese!

Reaction score
Thank you Patty I am glad to know that someone has had sucess and that making wy own yogurt is not some huge feat. tha can go worn at every turn Thank you so much for sharing your recipe.

Reaction score
Thank you Patty I am glad to know that someone has had sucess and that making wy own yogurt is not some huge feat. tha can go worn at every turn Thank you so much for sharing your recipe.

You're welcome! If I can be of any more help, please ask away. :) Making your own yogurt is really satisfying, and I find lots of different ways of using it - even in some cakes I make. Good luck with it. :)

Reaction score
I have never tried to my own yogurt but I do enjoy it. I love to put granola and crasins in mine. It can be pricey so I try to use coupons when I do buy it

Reaction score
I have always eaten yogurt even we I was little. Now that yogurt has grown in popularity is getting pretty pricey. I have seen yogurt maker on the market and I wonder if is worth the money to buy one . Has anyone here tried making their own yogurt , how did it turn out was it worth the effort?

Reaction score
I knew yogurt is a healthy kind of food but here in our place it is very expensive that is why in as much I want to eat it regularly I seldom buy this one when I am doing my groceries for our food stuffs at home. I'll check on the recipe that is posted here and thanks for sharing :)

Reaction score
I'd opt for making my ow yoghurt if I could, that thing is very healthy, but the thing you get at the store and call ''Yoghurt'' is not... it's more like an extra sweet custard loaded with a lot chemicals. Real yoghurt has a very short expiration date... max 7 days, at least if you want live healthy bacteria in it. In Russia they used to sell yoghurt like that, a max of 7 days expiration date. Not sure if this is still the case tho...

Reaction score

Cheaper and healthier! That crap they sell at the stores is just that... crap! But for reals, it's just a sweet custard with no real benefits to one's health, in this case the gut. A good probiotic yoghurt is one made at home... with no preservation agents.

Reaction score
I eat yogurt literally every day. It's my favorite thing to have for breakfast, usually with some granola, cinnamon and fresh fruit on it. My preference is for greek yogurt as I've found it keeps me fuller for longer - it seems to have a higher protein content than others.

I've never tried making my own, I always assumed it would be complicated! I might try it sometime but right now with a little baby, the idea of having to make my own from scratch sounds time consuming!

Ask a Question