Your Bakery Blunders

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my first post here and in the spirit of being a little scatter brained some times, I would like to share stories of your bakery mess-ups. I'll go first.

I was making a birthday cake for my best friends sister on a Friday morning and the batter was mixed, came out beautiful even if I do say so myself. So I set of in the car about 5pm over to drop the cake off at my friends for the party that night, exclaiming how it was the special ingredient that was going to make her the best sister ever because she was pretending it was her baking. I didn't have a problem with her claiming she'd made the cake.

So the next day I get a phone call from my friend telling me how great it tasted and the bracelet her sister found in the middle was beautiful. Damn right it was beautiful because that's what I thought when I bought it!
So after me explaining that I hadn't even noticed the bracelet had fallen off and it really was the recipe that was special, not the bracelet that was inside it, I managed to get it returned with no hard feelings.

Anything like this happen to you?

Reaction score
While I was making my wedding cake last November, finishing the decorating the day before which was the mousse and buttercream, chocolate work and arranging the fresh raspberries and blueberries - and eager to get the 3 tiers onto their stands - I slightly mis-judged things: sadly I didn't quite place the top tier correctly so it crashed straight onto the floor. And it all happened as if it were slow motion....with nothing I could do about it!

So I had to re-make that tier again that night - including the chocolate work and the like, only I didn't have enough raspberries to finish it. So a post-midnight trip to the all-night supermarket on a Tolkein-esque quest for fresh raspberries. But all was great in the end. Talk about a less-than-relaxing experience the day before!!

Reaction score
My cousin is a great baker and works in the realms of wedding cakes for a living, he told me some horror stories about close calls that left him red in the face and some serious brownie points to be made up (excuse the pun).

There is something to be said for your mood when something goes wrong when you're only rying to deliver the best to others. A service to mankind in its basic form.....FOOD!

Reaction score
I also made my own wedding cake, and as my husband,daughter and I live in our wellys thought I'd make marzipan wellys to go on the top-unfortunately these were harder to make than I'd first thought! I was still adjusting them the night before and had the stains from the food colouring to prove it on our wedding day!!

Reaction score
I also made my own wedding cake, and as my husband,daughter and I live in our wellys thought I'd make marzipan wellys to go on the top-unfortunately these were harder to make than I'd first thought! I was still adjusting them the night before and had the stains from the food colouring to prove it on our wedding day!!

I would have loved to have seen a picture of that. Leaky wellington boots in more ways than one, haha. I can imagine they were not the easiest thing to make. Did you have a frame to work with? I find with fiddly jobs like that is to make your own frame out of malleable craft wire and go from there.

Reaction score
I would have loved to have seen a picture of that. Leaky wellington boots in more ways than one, haha. I can imagine they were not the easiest thing to make. Did you have a frame to work with? I find with fiddly jobs like that is to make your own frame out of malleable craft wire and go from there.
Ill have to see if I can upload photo-or ask my hubby!lol. No frame work,just my fingers!!

Reaction score
I hate baking blunders! Such a waste. Recently I attempted the whole cake- mix-made-with-greek-yogurt thing, and it didn't turn out as great as everyone says. After it was in the oven for the specified time, I checked the middle with a knife. It came out clean, so I took the cake out and let it cool. I lifted the cake out of the pan to put on a serving dish and found the whole bottom of the cake pan wet with condensation. Even more confusing, the bottom of the cake was a little over-done. When I cut into the cake to taste test a bite I found while the bottom was overcooked, the inside was squishy and undercooked--it still tasted like batter! What a mess. All you can say at a time like this is "Live and Learn."

Reaction score
Here's the one baking blunder my entire family won't let me forget! I attempted to make the cookies that require you to put a Hershey's Kiss in the center of them but when I read the directions, I thought it said to keep them wrapped rather than unwrapping them. Needless to say, when I brought a batch to a family function, the entire place was filled with laughter over my mistake. The funny thing is, they still ate them!

Reaction score
Oh no! I haven't had anything like that happen. It did just give me a possible idea for my sister's birthday later this year. I'll have to look into baking with objects so I can do it safely. (thanks for the idea! ha!)

I didn't see this thread; I just made one that talked about one of my beginner disasters: a three layer cake.

Ask a Question