Your favorite "get well" baked goods?

Reaction score
Just found out today my dad has a bit of a health situation going on. I'm naturally upset but my mind has gone to food as a distraction.

I want to make him some yummy treats. What are your favorite things to bake as a get well thing for your loved ones?

Reaction score
My favorite things to bake as a get well thing for my love ones are banana bread, oatmeal raisin cookies and chicken pie. I find this things to be healthy and this are very appetizing too.

Reaction score
My favorite things to bake as a get well thing for my love ones are banana bread, oatmeal raisin cookies and chicken pie. I find this things to be healthy and this are very appetizing too.

Good point about the health aspect - all the foods you mentioned are both delicious and more healthy and filling than some other more sugary treats are. Great suggestions - I think banana bread would be a hit.

Reaction score
Since it's blueberry season, you could add some blueberries into the banana bread. That's my favorite, and it's even healthier than plain banana bread, and makes it very moist. Here's a highly-rated recipe from AllRecipes. Note, it calls for 3 'small' loaf pans, whatever that means. I'd probably just use 2 of my smaller ones, they seem to be slightly smaller, but aren't miniature. Hope your Dad's ok.

Reaction score
Baked goods? Casseroles, easy to eat to food dishes.

Sweets? Muffins or Cupcakes.

Reaction score
Something light and healthy or something savory. It depends on the situation, person and health issue. If we are talking about someone who can't eat a lot sugar, then I try to make something using coconut flour instead of the average flour (because of the starches) I go on and make a simple cake, using mostly stevia :)

I'd love to get brownies if I got sick :p But I know not everyone is like that, lol.

Reaction score
Hey, I'd love to get brownies ANYTIME. Even if I'm partially allergic to ingredients, what can I say? Brownies are JUST THAT GOOD.

(you can hear me in the background screaming HURTS SO GOOOOD as I eat a Brownie, Lol)

Reaction score
I have made coffee cake and coffee bread for people who were having a difficult time in life. I have not given food to someone dealing with a health issue though, unless there was a request for meals for the family so that they didn't have to worry about cooking at that time. I think if someone is ill, I would stick to low sugar, really healthy and balanced items so there wasn't a concern about the gift adding to their problems.

Reaction score
Just found out today my dad has a bit of a health situation going on. I'm naturally upset but my mind has gone to food as a distraction.

I want to make him some yummy treats. What are your favorite things to bake as a get well thing for your loved ones?
So sorry that your dad is having health issues, I wish him a speedy recovery. It is very thoughtful that you would think to make him treats. I would say make him a batch of classic chocolate chip cookies unless there is something else that you know he would really enjoy. What is his favorite baked item?

Reaction score
whatever the item is, do it in smaller bite size chunks - but a lot of them, if they're recovering from anything eating smaller chunks of food is considerably less energy intensive and gives the same effect.

Reaction score
Well, it kind of depends on the health issue someone is having. You don't want to make something they shouldn't have. I always found homemade bread to be a terrific comfort food, and my dad used to make me homemade soup and bake me a nice loaf of bread when I didn't feel well. For me, it can't get much better than that, although I wouldn't complain about treats either. :p

Reaction score
He had to have a skin cancer removed from his nose, so eating is still normal thankfully. He likes custard desserts and anything chocolate so I made some profiteroles with alternating custard filling and chocolate cream filling, and I also made him a loaf of banana bread with chocolate chips. Both were a hit, and he is recovering well which is the main thing!

Reaction score
Hey, I'd love to get brownies ANYTIME. Even if I'm partially allergic to ingredients, what can I say? Brownies are JUST THAT GOOD.

(you can hear me in the background screaming HURTS SO GOOOOD as I eat a Brownie, Lol)

Lol!!! Oh my, you are sooo funny!! By the way, sorry if you are really allergic to some of the ingredients to brownies, I hope you are not allergic to chocolate? That would be a terrible tragedy :(

Reaction score
Actually, yes, I am allergic to cholocate. And most dairy. But I eat it anyways, mostly every day. I die a bit inside to be sure; but it's worth the pain.

Apparently the only thing I can safely eat is FRESH Tofu. And even if I liked Tofu, all the Tofu from my neck of the woods is like Ramen anyways, or plain disgusting microwavable stuff. Ugh. I'd rather die a bit and eat like normal people.

Reaction score
Oh no... I'm sorry, I didn't really thought you were actually allergic to chocolate. You are the first person I met who is allergic to that. What kind of allergy do have? I have a similar issue with diary products, but my intolerance is not so bad, but I no longer consume milk that is not free of lactose. I do the same with cream, or else I end up so bloated.

Reaction score
I'm not technically allergic to the chocolate itself, rather what goes into making chocolate as well as some dairy products give me IBS something terrible. Not Lactose Intolerant, but very near close to it. I love my Dairy too much though =/ worth the pain.

Reaction score
Ahh, so IBS it is! Yeah, IBS can be such a b*tch sometimes. I was diagnosed when I was 17, both with IBS and ulcerative colitis. I've abdominal cramps very often, not sure if it's my diet or just my IBS just saying ''hello, I am here! Don't you ever dare to forget that!'', lol. How do you control it? Take meds or you have changed your diet?

Reaction score
Ahh, so IBS it is! Yeah, IBS can be such a b*tch sometimes. I was diagnosed when I was 17, both with IBS and ulcerative colitis. I've abdominal cramps very often, not sure if it's my diet or just my IBS just saying ''hello, I am here! Don't you ever dare to forget that!'', lol. How do you control it? Take meds or you have changed your diet?

Really? My son has some issues in this area. I am worried sick as I think he had an operation that was not warranted. It's been a year now and they still have not said positively what it is or was. I still quietly worry every day. He loves chocolate cake and some months back he ate a lot and it made him very ill.

Scones are my latest love and I think because the sugar content is somewhat low it could be my get well baking treat. Maybe it could work for your dad Cupcakechef.

Ask a Question