Your Favorite Pie?

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

When I was still a little girl, there was this bakeshop where my dad would always buy my favorite egg pie. I think that out of all the pies out there, it has been my all time favorite. I also like fruit pies but when it comes to egg pies, I could eat half of the pie in just one sitting. Lol!

I would also love to hear about your favorite pie. :)

Reaction score
You have to explain what "egg pie" is, as half of the forum is American, and what we call pies are not the same thing as what the rest of the world calls pies.

Reaction score
I love cheese pies, as well as pecan pies. Those are delicious, I personally prefer the ones I make at home, but if I am having a really serious craving, then I will just buy it. But only the cheese one, the pecan pies I've tried from other places weren't good at all, so if I am really craving some pecan pie I will just make it (not hard to make at all). I also like lemon pie, but a bit less than cheese pie.

Reaction score
I never liked eggpie although I remember when I was young, my mother would buy that from a classy bakeshop and my siblings would be feasting. For me, a small slice would be enough. Sometime in the 1990, one fast food outlet here began selling peach mango pie which is an innovation and an original creation of Jollibee Foods. It was a hit and the food outlet would always run out of peach mango pie. However, the hype died down after some years although they still have it until now and I sometimes buy for my snack.

Reaction score
Yeah I have to say I was thrown off when I heard egg pie, but then I just kind of figured it was like an omelette or something, and those are good. Egg custard pie though, I am not too sure on that one. I like the classics, your apple and pecan, but the best pie ever is rhubarb - hands down. Sour and sweet, does the trick every time. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
When I saw 'egg pie', I figured it was some sort of custard creation, which happens to be a favorite of mine. I like plain custard, vanilla custard, and especially coconut custard. Lemon meringue is also a favorite, but I also enjoy fruit pies and pumpkin pies. I have to admit, I have a difficult time choosing. One of my favorite places in the city is House of Pies. I would always get breakfast, an order of biscuits and gravy (so delicious) to go, and on special occasions, I'd get a whole pie. Here's their menu, in case anyone needs some inspiration.

Reaction score
@ChesterV I have to apologize for that. It was an ignorant mistake on my part. Egg pies in our country are also similar to egg custard pies. Here's a recipe with a video on it to help you better understand about it: :)

http://panlasangpinoy.com/2010/03/10/filipino-egg-pie-recipe/

LOL

No problem!!! No you aren't ignorant. It's just a cultural difference, which goes on a lot on this forum.

I was thinking it was possibly a custard pie, but I haven't heard it called "egg pie" since I was in my teens!!! (way back when) So I wasn't sure if it was the same thing or not.

REAL custard is alright, I will eat it. I don't like that instant custard stuff, it tastes funny.

We have some custard style pies here in the Southern USA. One of them is my favorite, it's called Buttermilk Pie. Mmmm, Mmmm!!!!! The other one is just a vanilla custard pie made with a LOT of eggs (probably like the kind you are talking about).

I have to say, one of my favorites that is expensive to make, and rare to find pre-made anywhere is Mincemeat Pie. Mmmm, Mmmm, MMMMM!!!!! I haven't had a Mincemeat Pie since I was in my 20's! Again, a LOOOOOONG time ago!!!

Reaction score
@ChesterV I had to smile and feel a bit embarrassed at myself when I also read @rz3300 and @Diane Lane's posts. I guess I had you guys thinking for awhile there. Lol!

The pies you mentioned really sound so delicious too. I think I just have a fondness for pies of any kind, so learning about the pies you guys are also fond of really makes me curious and interested in experimenting. My little boy also loves pies and he actually loves the crusts because of their crunchiness. :)

Reaction score
@ChesterV I have to apologize for that. It was an ignorant mistake on my part. Egg pies in our country are also similar to egg custard pies. Here's a recipe with a video on it to help you better understand about it: :)

http://panlasangpinoy.com/2010/03/10/filipino-egg-pie-recipe/

That sounds really good. I love custard pies. I think my favorite all time pie is chocolate mousse and you do not even have to bake it. Makes a wonderful summertime pie. I made one last week and actually had to stick in the freezer because it was so hot that day that the pie would not set right even in the refrigerator.

Reaction score
@ChesterV I almost made a mincemeat pie last year. I might actually do it this year, but probably not until the weather cools off, around Thanksgiving or Christmas. That's when I always think of them, at the holidays, because my grandmother would usually have one. Not many in my family liked it, so there was always a piece left for me :).

Reaction score
That sounds really good. I love custard pies. I think my favorite all time pie is chocolate mousse and you do not even have to bake it. Makes a wonderful summertime pie. I made one last week and actually had to stick in the freezer because it was so hot that day that the pie would not set right even in the refrigerator.

Chocolate mousse pie sounds delicious to me. Anything that has chocolate in it is actually very enticing for me. :) I also like the idea that it doesn't have to be baked. Sometimes baking could indeed be a blunder when the weather is really warm. No-bake recipes are good alternatives for the summer season.

Reaction score
I love no bake recipes during the summer months and it is so easy to whip out a pirate at last minute when you have guests coming over. I am also fond of fruit and custard tarts, but I normally buy them because I have never been good at making the puff pastry shell.

Reaction score
I once tried lemon pie and it tasted unique and delicious. Here's the simple recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
2. Lightly grease the pie plate.
3. Combine 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1 cup white sugar, 4 eggs, 1 cup flaked coconut, 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 1 2/3 cups milk in a large bowl.
4, Stir the ingredients well and pour it into the pie plate.
5. Bake at 400 degree F for 35 minutes until it is well set.

Reaction score
Here is a tried and true for apple pie filling from scratch, works great every time! When it thickens it is just like magic! You can make your own cursts or use store bought!

Stovetop Apple Pie Filling

Ingredients

• 4 medium apples

• 3 tablespoons water

• 2 tablespoons butter

• 1 teaspoon cinnamon

• 1/3 cup sugar

• 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch

• 2 tablespoons water
Instructions

1. Peel, core and slice apples.

2. Melt butter and cinnamon over medium heat. Stir in apples, sugar & 3 tablespoons water.

3. Cover and cook stirring occasionally for 4-6 minutes or until very slightly softened.

4. In a small dish combine cornstarch and water. Add to pan while stirring and continue to cook until apples are soft (not mushy) and filling is thickened. Let bubble 1 minute. Cool.
Notes

Some apples are juicier than others. If you would like your filling thicker, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Add a little at a time while the mixture is boiling until you reach desired consistency.

Ask a Question