Your favorite savory baked food

Reaction score
This is a wonderful forum, and goodness knows I have a sweet tooth myself...still, I noticed that there isn't a sub-forum for savory baked goods! The closest is probably bread and pastries, but not all savory foods we make in an oven involve crusts.

So I wondered if there just wasn't enough interest in proportion to baking sweet things such as cakes?

That's why I just thought I'd ask... what's your favorite food to bake that is not sweet? Does pizza count? Lasagne, macaroni? Shepherd's pie? Ratatouille? Scotch eggs?

Do share!

Reaction score
I love to bake pizza in the oven. We have homemade pizza on a regular basis. Lasagna is also great but I usually make that in my crockpot. I layer all the ingredients and just let it go for the day. It always turns out perfect. Macaroni and cheese is definitely a great dish to bake. I like to mix it all up and then bake it with bread crumbs on top until it is bubbly. I'm quite sure that no food is more perfect than homemade mac and cheese. Heaven.

Reaction score
I love to make homemade pizza. But my very favorite non sweet baked item is French Meat Pie. It is so good and the slight taste of the allspice used in it is just yummy.

French Meat Pie
  • 1 pound ground turkey or beef
    1 pound ground pork
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup mashed potatoes
  • 2 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
  • In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
  1. In a small bowl, combine potatoes and seasonings. Roll out half of pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Fill with meat mixture.
  2. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
It is good served hot from the oven or at room temperature

Reaction score
I guess mine would be Pizza. But that pizza has got to be something of great amazement. I've made a turkey Pizza one, well I had help but I did most of the labor lol. It tasted very good too.

Reaction score
I do love making homemade pizza. Lasagne is another favorite though I haven't made it in a long time. I like to bake chicken breasts with garlic, rosemary, basil and olive oil in the oven. It comes out very tasty!

Ask a Question