Your favourtite savoury pie

Reaction score
So there's lots of threads around here about fruit pies, but what about their savoury counterparts? I personally ADORE steak pie. In fact, I'd say it's one of my favourite meals! It's best when the meat is really tender and slightly peppery, I think, and the best part of it is the pastry once the underside of it has absorbed all the gravy (I always scoop out the meat and east that first, so I have a big slice of gravy-ish pastry left for last) - you haven't lived until you've tasted gooey, gravy-soaked puff pastry! I also like chicken pie and all its variations, like chicken and mushroom, chicken and asparagus etc. I cook a mean cottage pie too, but seeing as that doesn't involve pastry, I'm guessing it doesn't belong here.

Do you like savoury pies?

Reaction score
Yes, when Downton Abbey was last on the air we tried a few pork pie recipes (and got some from Myers of Keswick to compare) and enjoyed them. I do think they need (more) onion, but were quite good.

Reaction score
So there's lots of threads around here about fruit pies, but what about their savoury counterparts? I personally ADORE steak pie. In fact, I'd say it's one of my favourite meals! It's best when the meat is really tender and slightly peppery, I think, and the best part of it is the pastry once the underside of it has absorbed all the gravy (I always scoop out the meat and east that first, so I have a big slice of gravy-ish pastry left for last) - you haven't lived until you've tasted gooey, gravy-soaked puff pastry! I also like chicken pie and all its variations, like chicken and mushroom, chicken and asparagus etc. I cook a mean cottage pie too, but seeing as that doesn't involve pastry, I'm guessing it doesn't belong here.

Do you like savoury pies?

Recipe share? Please? I think that would be a big hit at my house.

I like plain old chicken pie. Haven't made it since my kids were little (why did I stop???) So good!

Reaction score
I made a chicken pot pie once and it was pretty decent. I'm really interested in making other savory pies. My wife brings home pies for us sometimes from this place in DC called Deliciously Dangerous pies. It's a food truck near her office. Food trucks aren't the skeevy low-quality things they once were. You can get gourmet food now from them. My favorites so far are the tofu curry and ratatatouille pies.

Here's the link to their page so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. :) http://www.dangerouspiesdc.com

Reaction score
Recipe share? Please? I think that would be a big hit at my house.

For which pie? I personally have only made cottage pie as for the others we either buy them or my mum makes them, but if it's the steak pie you mean, I'm sure I could find out from her - she's bound to have it in a folder somewhere in the kitchen. :)

I made a chicken pot pie once and it was pretty decent. I'm really interested in making other savory pies. My wife brings home pies for us sometimes from this place in DC called Deliciously Dangerous pies. It's a food truck near her office. Food trucks aren't the skeevy low-quality things they once were. You can get gourmet food now from them. My favorites so far are the tofu curry and ratatatouille pies.

Here's the link to their page so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. :) http://www.dangerouspiesdc.com

Both the ratatouille and curry pies sound lovely! I'm not a big fan of tofu, but I'm sure if you were making it yourself you could substitute it for meat of some kind. Chicken pot pie is another one I keep meaning to make some time, but I'd need to actually buy some pots first!

Reaction score
cefmac go ahead and share both recipes. The steak pie sounds very interesting to me! I really enjoy chicken pie as well as beef pot pie. I love the flaky crusts with all of the goodies stuffed inside and just bubbling and warm! Oh goodness! Now I want to make a beef pot pie!

Reaction score
cefmac go ahead and share both recipes. The steak pie sounds very interesting to me! I really enjoy chicken pie as well as beef pot pie. I love the flaky crusts with all of the goodies stuffed inside and just bubbling and warm! Oh goodness! Now I want to make a beef pot pie!

I guess I didn't read the original post too well. I was thinking of the steak pie, but I agree with Shellyann....give them both to us, if you will! :)

Reaction score
I love chicken pot pies! And beef pot pies, although chicken is my favorite. There is something so delicious about them.. they're creamy and savory and oooo just so good. Now I'm going to have to make some.

Reaction score
I like chicken pies, and beef, and turkey. Steak sounds good as well, although I have not made one yet. I have not had any savory pies in a long time, but this discussion is making me want one, or two. Savory pies are a good thing to eat, especially in the fall, yummy. All this talk about pies, and I'm trying to stick to a strict diet today, ugh!

Reaction score
Okay, here are my recipes then!

Cottage pie (serves four)

A splash of sunflower or olive oil
500g lean beef mince
An onion, chopped
A mix of vegetables, like carrots, celery, swede etc., chopped
1 tin of tomatoes
A generous splash of Worcester sauce
1 beef stock cube
1 tbsp mixed herbs
Salt and pepper, to season
4 large potatoes (use 5 if slightly smaller)
A small lump of butter
A splash of milk

1. Fry the onion until soft, then add the mince.
2. Fry until the mince is completely brown, then add the tin of tomatoes and Worcester sauce.
3. Add the mixed veg.
4. Crumble the stock cube into the sauce and season with salt, pepper and herbs. Leave to simmer.
5. Peel and chop the potatoes, then add to boiling water and boil until soft.
6. Mash the potatoes using the milk and butter, and season with salt and pepper.
7. Put mince mixture into a casserole dish, then spread the mashed potato on top.
8. Rough up the mashed potato with a form.
9. Bake at 220C/425F/gas mark 7 for about 15 minutes, or until the potato has turned slightly golden brown and crispy.
10. Serve (either on its own or with veg) and enjoy!

Steak pie (serves four)

A splash of sunflower or olive oil
25g plain flour
500g stewing steak, in small pieces
Salt and pepper, to season
1 onion, chopped
225g mushrooms, chopped (optional)
3 beef stock cubes
600ml/1 pint boiling water
A generous splash of Worcester sauce
1 egg

Shortcrust pastry or puff pastry to top (we usually use shop-bought puff pastry, as it tastes better and absorbs more of the gravy - which is the best bit!)

1. Sieve flour into a bowl with salt and pepper, and use this to lightly coat the meat. Don't use all of it - leave some to the side for later.
2. Fry the meat in the oil until brown, then add the onions and mushrooms.
3. Add remaining flour and fry for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add Worcester sauce, salt and pepper.
5. Make up the stock using the three stock cubes and the boiling water, then add to the pan.
6. Leave to simmer for about 30 minutes (if you're making the pastry by hand, now's the time to do it).
7. Transfer meat into a pie dish, then top with the pastry. Make sure to put a few holes in the pastry with a fork and to trim the excess.
8. Beat the egg and brush over the pastry.
9. Bake at 220C/425F/gas mark 7 for about 40 minutes, or until the pastry is golden.
10. Serve (goes well with roast or mashed potatoes and veg) and enjoy!

Reaction score
cefmac sounds delicious! Will have to get all of the ingredients and try these. It is raining here all day today and it would be a wonderful time for a meal like this! I have a nice porkloin in the crockpot at the moment but I will certainly try these recipes! Thank you for sharing them.

Reaction score
Shepard pie is one of my favorite savory pies.
I don't use lamb , instead I use extra lean ground beef.
This pie is a great way to warm up on a cold night. I know it is not a pie in the traditional form but is it a pie jut the same.

Reaction score
Now this thread is my cup of tea. Thanks to all of our for the recipes and tips. I love to bake but oddly enough I am not much of a sweets person. (I do have that odd frosting obsession though..I could eat just frosting most times)

Ask a Question