Your first baking memory

Reaction score
Did you have a baking experience in childhood or sometime along your life that made you suddenly realize that you really love to bake? Was there a recipe or an item that you made that inspired you to keep making more baked goods?

Reaction score
Yes, since very early in life I liked all kitchen-related and I had miniature replicas of all, a doll house with detailed furniture, particularly in its small kitchen and I had also all kind of kitchenware and dinnerware to play, besides child-oriented gadgets.

One of these latter was my Magic Oven, which was powered by a 100 watts bulb, but it was capable to bake a tiny real cake! I simply loved it!

I also liked to make "non-baked cakes" which consisted in breadcrumbs mixed with water to make the dough and then decorated with oil paints from my mom's canvas painting arsenal. Of course, I never tried to ate these cakes, but someone sometime tried, blaming them for the taste, hahaha

Reaction score
We would always buy the cupcake mixture from the store and see how much we could vary them and be creative with out imaginations when decorating the, It made for a fun experience. Knowing that what you were baking was yours made it really great and they were also super tasty!

Reaction score
When I was younger I would always help my mom with the cakes we make. I was usually the one using the egg beater and the whisk. My mom would put in all the ingredients into the bowl and I would be the one to mix and make the big mess. I would sometimes sneak in some food colouring because I always liked colour in my food. I still do that today. :oops:

Reaction score
I remember the first time I attempted to make peanut butter cookies all by myself. I would normally cook along side my mom, but one particular day I decided I wanted to make them all on my own. Apparently I screwed something up along the way - either getting one of the ingredients wrong, or getting the measurements wrong (tablespoons vs teaspoons), because they came out all flat and formed one giant burnt cookie on the baking sheet. I ended up scrapping them and starting all over again and screwed up yet another batch, then my mom finally stepped in because she was getting sick of me wasting all that peanut butter, lol.

Reaction score
My first baking memory came from helping my mom in the kitchen. She taught me how to bake cakes and cookies. Then she taught me how to make pasta and various drinks. Then she finally taught me how to cook meat one day.

Now, I find myself cooking all the time. It seems that my way of cooking is very similar to mom as we never measure anything.

Reaction score
My first baking memory can be summed up in one word: gingerbread. It was Christmas time, and I was around 5 years old — jittery and hyper with anticipation over Santa's impending visit. I was in my grandmother's kitchen, poised to decorate gingerbread cookies that were cooling after a trip in the oven. With my grandmother's encouragement, I decorated my gingerbread woman with gobs of frosting and a plethora of chocolate candies. Nearly 20 years later, the memory is still delicious to recall.

Ask a Question