Your fondest baking memory

Reaction score
I baked a lot as a kid, but few occasions stand out as being my "fondest memory" besides one. It wasn't actually that long ago, only about four or five years (so I wasn't even a kid at the time, but a teenager), but I can still remember it clearly. My friend's family were in the process of adopting a little girl, and she was staying with them for a while as a trial period. It was a winter evening and I was around at their house, so my friend and I decided to make gingerbread men. When they had cooled, we had a big decoarting session with the little girl and it was so lovely - we couldn't stop laughing, and it was incredible to see her eyes light up and have so much fun!

What is your fondest memory of baking as a child (or baking with a child)?

Reaction score
My fondest memory of baking was when I was little, my sister and I always made cookies together, she was 12 years older than me and this was our special time together. She taught me to read recipes and measure out ingredients. We would take turns putting in the ingredients and mixing, she would do one then I would do one. This is what my daughter and I do now and we both love it.

Reaction score
My fondest memory was when I got my easy bake oven on Black Friday. I can't remember my exact age but I'm going to guess and say maybe 9. I couldn't wait to get home and bake a cake. The first cake I baked was a chocolate one with chocolate icing and I also baked one for my little brother. From what I remember, it was really good and I think I baked some more that very moment due to them being so small. Good times indeed!!

Reaction score
We always decorated the sugar cookies for Christmas as a family and all of my favorite baking memories are from those sessions.

My favorite is the year that my siblings and cousin banned me from decorating because I am too much of a perfectionist.

Reaction score
My fondest baking memory as a child was baking sugar cookies with my grandma in her kitchen. Every Christmas, she would have my sister and I over. We would bake and decorate the most wonderful sugar cookies! She would make homemade icing and let us create. I can still hear her laugh and carry on with us while we decorated. She has been gone for several years now, but my sister and I carry on the tradition with her two little girls.
I miss grandma, but I feel very blessed to have those memories.

Reaction score
My fondest memory baking with a child is teaching my niece how to make her first cake. She was 12. Throughout the entire process, my niece was so excited her hands were shaking.

We made a chocolate cake. The final product wasn't that great, but it made her so happy.

Reaction score
Homemade cookies were always my favorite. My cousin and I made some sugar cookies back in her house in Vegas, and that was actually the first time I had sugar cookies. We had a great time. I miss those childhood years.

Reaction score
My mum has a hilarious story of baking with me when I was a toddler: we'd just finished mixing up a batch of fairy cakes and I sneezed right into the mixing bowl. Had to throw the whole thing away! I was an evil child.

Reaction score
The upside-down cake from the magic spoon children's cookbook. I would beg my mom to make it ever weekend and I always made a huge mess. I'm surprised she put up with it.

Reaction score
I loved baking with my mom, that was fun when I got the chance,lol my sister always got in the way. So we eventually just all baked together and I loved icing the cakes and cupcakes that my mom made. What a fabulous mess!:p

Reaction score
My mother made/makes cookies every year for Christmas (despite us being [secular, but whatever] Jews!) and being allowed to decorate the cookies all by myself and using the leftover dough from the cutouts to shape into my own "special" cookie is a nice memory for me.

Probably second after that is being allowed to smash up apple pie filling with my hands.

Reaction score
The memory I'm quite fond of when I was a child baking was with my older sister and my mum. Before, we would used to always bake brownies during the weekends. Every week, we would come up with a different ingredient to add to the brownies so there would always be a twist. The best brownies we ended up with was when I chose white chocolate. I was the one who chopped the white chocolate and added it to the mixture. Small pleasures, I realized, goes a long way! :)

Reaction score
The memory I'm quite fond of when I was a child baking was with my older sister and my mum. Before, we would used to always bake brownies during the weekends. Every week, we would come up with a different ingredient to add to the brownies so there would always be a twist. The best brownies we ended up with was when I chose white chocolate. I was the one who chopped the white chocolate and added it to the mixture. Small pleasures, I realized, goes a long way! :)

I couldn't agree with you more, what good is life if you don't enjoy the simply pleasures in life.
I still love baking and taking the mixing bowl to my boyfriend and we enjoy licking it out and all the spoons and spatulas :D

Reaction score
I would say I had more fun and more fond memories of cooking rather than baking, if I had to chose between the two, but I've also had some good times baking with my mom.

We had a garden during most of the years I was a kid, and at the end of the season for zucchini, we would get stuck with tons of it - and they weren't dainty little things either, they were like caveman club sized squash. So my mom would bake tons and tons of zucchini bread. She would have me help out by doing all the peeling and shredding, as well as mixing up the ingredients along side her. We would do two batches at a time, I'd make my batch while she made hers. I know it's totally not safe, but I would eat the batter right out of the bowl. I loved all the cinnamon in it.

Some other things I loved baking were those goody Chef Boy Ar Dee "Pizza" kits, the ones that came with powdered cheese, some dough mix, and a little can of sauce. I love making them, even though they pale in comparison to real pizza. Something about the sauce and that cheese had such a concentrated flavor. She also used to get this brownie kit that came with a cardboard tray that you pour the mix in to bake it in the oven. It was white with a little blue flower on the sides. I used to love those too because I got to put the tray together, and I was kind of fascinated that you could bake it in the oven.

Reaction score
My fondest baking memory would be making rice crispy treats with my mom. She didn't bake much, but this was something we would do together. :)

Reaction score
My fondest baking memory has actually become a long-standing tradition in our family. Every time our mom makes icing, my brother and I patiently wait for the detachable whisks. I think that was the only time we were allowed sweets when we were kids. And of course, we would split the spatula and bowl afterwards.

My mom doesn't bake anymore, what with sugar being an expensive commodity in our country, but I remember mixing up a batch of her homemade chocolate icing so my brother and I could eat it in front of the tv. Mom got mad for all of five seconds before she got her own spoon. Good times ;)

Ask a Question