Your Herbs, Spices, Flavoring

Reaction score
...Right now. I'm just curious.

Right now I have

- ginger root; it's the rainy season and this has been so useful
- preserved orange peel, I thought it would be sweet but it wasn't and now I don't know what to do with it
- bay leaves, which I use often but don't seem to ever run out even though I didn't get a lot...
- cinnamon
- star anise
- molasses, started up for health reasons but found so many neat uses for it that it's something I'll have regularly
- iodized salt, I don't use very much very often but my mother was a health nut and only had "real salt" around which made measurements so annoying when I wanted to bake because they would be large grains and I never wanted to take the trouble to go out and get the proper kind at the store and...it's just been a relief to have it

and I want to get:

- cocoa, specifically Spanish tablea
- pepper, I used to stick with powdered white pepper because it wouldn't darken the food and I found out that it's the same thing anyway, but now that I've been dealing with dark meats I'm thinking of getting some peppercorns as well
- marjoram, since I want to try a recipe of a friend of mine whose favorite herb is marjoram
- oregano, my favorite herb
- rosemary, my second favorite herb
- thyme, you've got to have it, right?
- sage...I'm certain to find some use for this

basically, I don't have very many herbs...but spices

- turmeric, for making yellow rice pilaf
...actually, I think that's about it.

What's on your rack right now? What do you use most often? What would you like to add?

Reaction score
Bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and sage are my go to dry herbs. I also have some mixed seasonings such as Old Bay, Italian, and a steak rub. I need to get some cardamon, and some curry as I would like to try some Indian style dishes. My spice cupboard is stuffed to the brim though as I usually buy my spices from Costco and get them in bulk supply.

Reaction score
I am running low on herbs since i am experiencing drought were i am living for sometime now; in my kitchen i can find ginger,dried pimento berries,thyme,rosemary and cinnamon.

Reaction score
I need to clear my spice rack out and refesh it with new herbs. I have had what is in those jars far too long.

Reaction score
The herbs that I keep on hand are cilantro, rosemary, basil and parsley. Spices are cumin, tumeric, sea salt, peppercorns in a grinder, California garlic powder, cinnamon, red pepper, smoked paprika and red pepper flakes. All others I just buy them as needed. My favorite store sells spices by the bulk so I can buy as much as I need.

Reaction score
...Right now. I'm just curious.

Right now I have

- ginger root; it's the rainy season and this has been so useful
- preserved orange peel, I thought it would be sweet but it wasn't and now I don't know what to do with it
- bay leaves, which I use often but don't seem to ever run out even though I didn't get a lot...
- cinnamon
- star anise
- molasses, started up for health reasons but found so many neat uses for it that it's something I'll have regularly
- iodized salt, I don't use very much very often but my mother was a health nut and only had "real salt" around which made measurements so annoying when I wanted to bake because they would be large grains and I never wanted to take the trouble to go out and get the proper kind at the store and...it's just been a relief to have it

and I want to get:

- cocoa, specifically Spanish tablea
- pepper, I used to stick with powdered white pepper because it wouldn't darken the food and I found out that it's the same thing anyway, but now that I've been dealing with dark meats I'm thinking of getting some peppercorns as well
- marjoram, since I want to try a recipe of a friend of mine whose favorite herb is marjoram
- oregano, my favorite herb
- rosemary, my second favorite herb
- thyme, you've got to have it, right?
- sage...I'm certain to find some use for this

basically, I don't have very many herbs...but spices

- turmeric, for making yellow rice pilaf
...actually, I think that's about it.

What's on your rack right now? What do you use most often? What would you like to add?

I keep my spice rack well topped up, and it's brimming over with different things. I don't keep dried herbs because I grow my own, dry them myself in small quanties in my dehydrator, or blend them with a little oil and keep in small jars in the fridge - they keep for weeks like that. I do that with fresh chillies I've grown too.

I like to dry chillies when I have a glut and grind them to a powder, or crush them and use them that way.

I use loads of ginger in its fresh, dry and frozen forms! I love it. I also love those jars of stem ginger in syrup; they fantastic or baking cakes and cookies, and I sometimes add them to ice cream when I make it.

My spice rack also has:

Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Allspice
Mixed Spice
Mace
Cayenne
Fenugreek
Cumin (seed and powder)
Paprika (sweet and smoked)
Turmeric
Cardamom
Mustard seed

And lots of different blends that I buy from a local spice dealer.

I love having all of these things to hand when I want to make something tasty. :)

Reaction score
All I have right now is a mint plant , a basil plant, a ginger plant and a jalapeno plant. I tossed my dried spices because I moved a few months ago and all my spices that I brought from my old place are kind of stale. I have to go shopping again.

Ask a Question