Proper zester vs fine grater for citrus zest

Reaction score
I need a zester for citrus things but have only seen fine graters in local shops. Are they ok for the zest or does it have to be a proper zester?
I have seen tv chefs using a really fine zester.

Reaction score
Yeah, they are really fine! I use a really fine zester for all my recipes and I do fine. It's good to improvise sometimes, specially if you can't find the exact tool to get the job done!

Reaction score
If you freeze the lemon peel, it will grate easier even if you do not use an actual zester. I have used all sorts of sizes when grating my zest. I have even resorted to rubbing my knife against it. But then again, I do not mind having large pieces of skin in my baking. Some people might not find that very appealing and would only want sparse amounts. If this is the case, then I would invest in a proper zester.

Reaction score
I just have a really fine grater with small holes and it gets the job done. I don't like to have too many tools cluttering my drawers, so I don't need a microplane for lemon zest. You can get by without a specialized zester.

Reaction score
I've never actually found a fine zester in any of the stores in my area...I want one of the ones that you can use for like, nuts and stuff (so it's smaller and not like a huge cheese grater or zester) but I've never seen one! Or when I have seen one in another town or something it's really expensive :/

Reaction score
I found one!! From Lakeland and price was really reasonable too and also comes with a protective cover when not in use. I used it for parmesan and nutmeg for my lasagna and oh my it was like grating butter so quick to use. Soo happy!!!

Ask a Question