Zucchini Bread

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

I am new to forums but I have a question about zucchini bread. I follow my late wife's recipe for Zucchini bread
to the letter. (She could bake a two by four and it would taste delicious ). Mine however has a problem rising.
Sometimes a loaf will wonderful and other times they will be, well not so wonderful. Sort of soggy and flat. Not
to the point of giving it to the stock but not for human consumption. She used 1tsp. baking soda in the recipe.
If I increase it a tad would that help ??. If need be I can upload the recipe to the forum.

John in Idaho

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum John :)

When you measure out the baking soda, are you using a measuring spoon? 1 tsp in recipes means one 5ml level teaspoon, so if you are using a regular teaspoon that might be the issue.

Reaction score
Are you preparing the zucchini the same each time, too? "Soggy" could be a moisture problem from overly wet zucchini. Do you strain or squeeze the moisture out about the same each time? Is the zucchini always fresh? I've found a big difference in using fresh vs. frozen zucchini, and my particular recipe doesn't do well if the grated veggie has been frozen.

Reaction score
Hello Forum,
Thank you for your replies. I use a measuring spoon marked 1 tsp. I make sure it is a level tsp.
After I posted the my thread I talked to a lady that lives down the road a piece and she said to
squeeze my zucchini in a pillow case (an old one). So I will be doing that this summer.
I grow my own zucchini and pick it fresh.

I also have been trying to bake bread. Whole wheat, and white. I use bread flour. Baking is an art and I have
a lot to learn. All I can say is the birds are getting fat off of me in the bread department.
Again thank you for your advice.

John

Reaction score
Yes, definitely dry out your zucchini before using. Squash's are pretty much mostly water, so when they bake, all that water has to go somewhere. If it's more than the flour can absorb during baking, it can make the bread flat, gummy, gooey, or even brick like.

If you still have an issue with moisture, even after squeezing the zucchini, then dust the squeezed veggies with flour before adding them to the batter/dough. This will help a bit with the moisture issue.

Reaction score
Hello forum,

I just finished reading your posts. Thank you all for your advice.

John

Ask a Question