Are Cupcake Liners Typically Made of Parchment Paper?

Reaction score
Hallo Everyone!
I'm in the midst of baking and wondering whether the cupcake liners I have are made of parchment paper as I've heard conflicting information about their composition and the potential impact on baking.
Seeking guidance from the community to determine whether parchment paper liners are commonly used and recommended or if there are alternative materials I should consider for my baking endeavors.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hallo Everyone!
I'm in the midst of baking and wondering whether the cupcake liners I have are made of parchment paper as I've heard conflicting information about their composition and the potential impact on baking.
Seeking guidance from the community to determine whether parchment paper liners are commonly used and recommended or if there are alternative materials I should consider for my baking endeavors.
Thanks in advance.

They are made of a variety of materials:
Parchment paper
Kraft paper
Foil
Glassine paper

Cupcake liners can be bleached unbleached. Greaseproof or not; coated doesn’t necessarily mean greaseproof.

Glassine paper is a manufacturing process, not a coating on paper.

I recently answered a question about parchment paper (link below).

The only way to know what a baking liner, whether it’s a sheet pan liner or cupcake liner, free-standing baking pan, etc. is purchase products that state the content. For instance, I purchase sheet liners specifically marked parchment paper and the type of coating.

One thing to keep in mind is types of baking liners, such as foil and silicone, can conduct heat more intensely. So these can overly brown and dry out batter if I’ve been temperature isn’t adjusted

Reaction score
Yes, you can use Parchment paper.

Parchment paper cupcake liners are a popular choice for baking because they're non-stick and can handle high oven temperatures. They're easy to use and make cleanup a breeze since you can just toss them after baking.

While there are other options like wax-coated or foil liners, parchment paper liners are often preferred for their reliability and professional finish.

If you're unsure about your liners, just check the packaging or ask the manufacturer for clarification.

Ask a Question