Baking videos - watch and share

Reaction score
My youngest son even loves it on chocolate chunk cookies.

He has good taste! I love salty sweet things (as long as they're not too salty). I see that Melissa Clark also seems to like salt with chocolate - I've seen her finish both chocolate mousse and chocolate brownies with salt flakes.

Reaction score
He has good taste! I love salty sweet things (as long as they're not too salty). I see that Melissa Clark also seems to like salt with chocolate - I've seen her finish both chocolate mousse and chocolate brownies with salt flakes.

Do you prefer savory over sweets? My oldest son has a sweet tooth; younger son will take savory over sweet. So I wasn’t surprised when the oldest just said no to the salt on chocolate chunk cookies :eek: and the younger pronounced it awesome. I’m with older son, I like my sweet and savory separately :p

Reaction score
Do you prefer savory over sweets?

Not generally, I have quite a sweet tooth. I like to alternate I guess - I can't have too much sweet all at once, so I 'cleanse my palette' with savoury, then I can have more sweet again :D Anyone else do this, or am I just mad?!

I like salt in sweet things though, but only when it's just enough to enhance the flavours.

Reaction score
I thought this was a clever idea:

FYI first 3 mins is intro. I was expecting him to make chocolate rods and push them into the cake, so I was surprised he piped it directly into the holes! Nice idea :)

Reaction score
This is a pretty cool effect - it's done by layering one colour of cake batter on top of a different colour then dragging a tool (in this case the handle of a knife) through the layered batter in both directions. I'd like to give it a try sometime!

Reaction score
This is a pretty cool effect - it's done by layering one colour of cake batter on top of a different colour then dragging a tool (in this case the handle of a knife) through the layered batter in both directions. I'd like to give it a try sometime!

Wow that looks really cool. Did you see that jelly roll pan? The corners are sharp— I want that pan!!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that too! Don't often see pans like that, they always tend to have rounded edges. There's a place here called Lakeland that does great (if expensive) kitchen ware, and they have an adjustable cake pan with sharp edges, but I can't bring myself to bring £30 on it!

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/10972/Silverwood-Multisize-Foldaway-Cake-Pan

Oh I love that pan! You’re right it’s expensive. Drives me crazy when all the great tools carry a hefty pice tag.

Reaction score
Anyone here watch the Binging With Babish channel on YouTube? It's done by a guy called Andrew Rea, and basically he recreates food from films / TV. Often he does the version as described, then does his own (better) version. He doesn't focus on baking, but his videos are great and well worth a watch.

I love this guy! He is popular and he knows what he is doing. I enjoy the format of his videos too!

Reaction score
Has anyone watched the 'Pastry Chef attempts to make a gourmet..." series from Bon Appétit? They're great :)

Reaction score
Has anyone watched the 'Pastry Chef attempts to make a gourmet..." series from Bon Appétit? They're great :)

Lol, I’ve been giving food nostalgia a lot of thought as I’m in discussions for a possible food business.

I saw this video a few months ago as I started looking at food nostalgia. I get where she’s coming from quality wise, but I don’t think she understands food nostalgia.

Food nostalgia is strange in that the terrible quality is part of the nostalgia. When you change the flavors and/or texture, even for the better, it does not trigger the sense of familiarity.

The brand, Hostess, is popular on the west coast. But if you go into the south people want Little Debbies; in the east it’s TastyKake. Consumers loyalty is driven by the differences between brands. The loyalty in these junk food brands is so deep that consumers will not buy the competition. It’s all about the taste and texture we associate with a brand and product.

Reaction score
Lol, I’ve been giving food nostalgia a lot of thought as I’m in discussions for a possible food business.

Food nostalgia is strange in that the terrible quality is part of the nostalgia. When you change the flavors and/or texture, even for the better, it does not trigger the sense of familiarity.

The brand, Hostess, is popular on the west coast. But if you go into the south people want Little Debbies; in the east it’s TastyKake. Consumers loyalty is driven by the differences between brands. The loyalty in these junk food brands is so deep that consumers will not buy the competition. It’s all about the taste and texture we associate with a brand and product.

Very true! However there are people like Christina Tosi who are taking it to a whole other level with the Momofuku Milk Bar in NYC. I have her book and have seen her Chef's Table episode on Netflix and truly believe that she has nailed the slippery line between modern and nostalgia foods. :)

Reaction score

I saw this video a few months ago as I started looking at food nostalgia. I get where she’s coming from quality wise, but I don’t think she understands food nostalgia.

I love this series! She has done a lot of neat attempts : Kitkats, skittles, Gushers, even lucky charms!

To me the amazing parts of the series is not how accurate she is but watching her mind work as she figures out how to get to certain qualities in the product. She is a definite professional and, although sometimes very disturbed when something doesn't work out, she goes back to it over and over until she gets to her desired outcome. It's amazing to watch!!

Reaction score
Although the videos describe what she's making as a gourmet version, I don't feel like that's the case. It seems more that she's just trying to recreate the thing in a domestic setting. I can't imagine many people are likely to try it for themselves at home! There would be no substitute for the original if that's what you're nostalgic for, despite all the preservatives and additives etc.

To me the amazing parts of the series is not how accurate she is but watching her mind work as she figures out how to get to certain qualities in the product. She is a definite professional and, although sometimes very disturbed when something doesn't work out, she goes back to it over and over until she gets to her desired outcome. It's amazing to watch!!

Agreed, that's what I love about it too! I enjoy watching the process more than the end result. I've seen a few of the videos, I think my favourite one was the KitKat :)

Ooh that's exciting!! Can you tell us anything about it yet or is it too early?

Reaction score
Very true! However there are people like Christina Tosi who are taking it to a whole other level with the Momofuku Milk Bar in NYC. I have her book and have seen her Chef's Table episode on Netflix and truly believe that she has nailed the slippery line between modern and nostalgia foods. :)

Tosi has created a food empire by essentially recycling junk food. Tosi gets that with food nostalgia you cannot try to re-create the original— it will never live up to expectations. Instead you use the original product as an ingredient in a completely different product to trigger that nostalgia without forcing the eater to make an exact side by side comparison to the original.

I think her most clever product is her soft serve that taste like the milk at the bottom of the cereal bowl. I’ve never had it, but boy can I relate to that!!

Reaction score
Although the videos describe what she's making as a gourmet version, I don't feel like that's the case. It seems more that she's just trying to recreate the thing in a domestic setting. I can't imagine many people are likely to try it for themselves at home! There would be no substitute for the original if that's what you're nostalgic for, despite all the preservatives and additives etc.

Agreed, that's what I love about it too! I enjoy watching the process more than the end result. I've seen a few of the videos, I think my favourite one was the KitKat :)

Ooh that's exciting!! Can you tell us anything about it yet or is it too early?

Lol, I thought the same thing too, like how is it even possible to make junk food gourmet?

The business idea is in the very early stages. My brother is a Artisan coffee roaster and importer, I’m a baker. I’ve been helping him with the administrative side of his business. A friend of his is developing a mini strip mall of retail space.

Then it dawned on us that we have complementing skills that if we combined woukd make a very viable business.

So I’ve been looking at a lot of market demographics and food trends to figure out a potential product line.

Reaction score
The business idea is in the very early stages. My brother is a Artisan coffee roaster and importer, I’m a baker. I’ve been helping him with the administrative side of his business. A friend of his is developing a mini strip mall of retail space.

Then it dawned on us that we have complementing skills that if we combined woukd make a very viable business.

So I’ve been looking at a lot of market demographics and food trends to figure out a potential product line.

That sounds like an awesome idea! :D I bet you'd do a fantastic job with it. If you need to use us as a sounding board for product ideas let us know! Always more than happy to think about cakes and sweet things :)

On the subject of coffee, I tried making cold brew coffee at home this week and it turned out really well. It's so hot here at the moment, I couldn't face a hot drink!

Reaction score
That sounds like an awesome idea! :D I bet you'd do a fantastic job with it. If you need to use us as a sounding board for product ideas let us know! Always more than happy to think about cakes and sweet things :)

On the subject of coffee, I tried making cold brew coffee at home this week and it turned out really well. It's so hot here at the moment, I couldn't face a hot drink!

Thank you. I’m hopeful we can make this a go. There are a lot of challenges to work through, but there’s commitment and that’s what it takes.

It’s amazing to me how good coffee is when freshly roasted and made right. I’ve always been a dark roast person, but my brother has really opened my eyes to medium roast. I get now why roasters are hesitant to do dark roasts.

My brother had is coffee rated by a professional coffee organization that rates based on rigid international standards and it came back with really good numbers in all categories. As he works with the growers on cultivation and milling improvements they should be producing some top quality coffee. So that’s was exciting news.

Ask a Question