Baking with Powdered milk

Reaction score
The area where I am living currently is having a dry spell on milk. That may sound odd but its true. We live in a farming community and it is very dry so the cows aren't producing. I am wondering if there are any good recipe's out there that use powdered milk instead of liquid? I know I can try to substitute but sometimes my recipe's don't' come out the same and I was wondering if anyone had any tricks or recipes to share?

Reaction score
Why not mix the powdered milk with water to get the liquid then go about the regular recipe? I've done this multiple times and I've found the recipe even better with the powdered milk mixed in water.

Reaction score
To my dismay I only find one recipe that uses powdered milk in bake products...however mixing your powdered milk with water and using it in liquid form should serve the same purpose i don't see your bake product turning out any differently.

Chocolate Cookies Recipe

Ingredient:
1 cup (125 grams) grated dark chocolate
1 1/4 cups self raising flour
1/3 cup milk powder
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 tbsp castor sugar
1/4 cup condensed milk

Method

1. Melt the chocolate over gentle heat and keep aside.
  2. Sieve the flour. Combine the flour with the milk powder and keep aside.
  3. Cream the butter and castor sugar till light and fluffy.
  4. Add the condensed milk and melted chocolate to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well.
  5. Fold in the flour mixture and mix to form a soft dough.
  6. Refrigerate the dough for about 20 minutes.
  7. Divide the dough into 20 equal portions and shape into round cookies.
  8. Place the cookies on a greased baking tray.
  9. Bake in preheated oven at 160°C (320°F) for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Reaction score
Why not mix the powdered milk with water to get the liquid then go about the regular recipe? I've done this multiple times and I've found the recipe even better with the powdered milk mixed in water.

I've done it too, and if the reconstituted milk seems too watery, you can always add more powder. I don't really notice a difference when I use reconstituted powdered milk in recipes.

Reaction score

Exactly.

I have done this time and time again. Yes, there are some recipes where the consistency isn't quite right. For the most part, though, mixing up powdered milk and using it like regular milk will do just fine.

Don't forget that dry milk tends to be the equivalent of 2% milk, so if you usually use whole milk, then there's automatically going to be a difference.

Reaction score
I use powdered milk in all kinds of recipes all of the time and it can actually save you a lot of money. Make the powdered milk ahead of time and refrigerate it before you use it in your recipe. When it is cold it seems to have more of a "regular" milk flavor.

Reaction score
I'm diabetic and I drink almond milk, but I use powdered milk in my recipes that call for it.

Dried milk is kind of bland, so I always double the amount for the recipe.
For example, if the recipe calls for one cup of milk, and it takes two tablespoons of powdered milk in water to make one cup of milk, then I will use four tablespoons of dried milk.

So far, everything I have used dried milk in has come out just right.;)

Ask a Question