Big air pocket on my Donuts

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I saw this is a common issue among beginners here. But I figured there is no clear solution here yet, so that's why I'm starting a new thread.

I'm using a brioche dough with the following recipe:

1646757049614.png

1. Mixing
I first mix every ingredient except butter for around 3 minutes until the dough is created and not sticky. Then I start adding the butter and once it is incorporated into the dough I change to medium speed until it doesn't stick to the bowl.

2. 1st proofing
I then take the dough from the bowl, mold it in a round shape a let it proof for around 2 hours at temperature (Lately around 20ºC) until it doubles in size.

3. Rolling and cutting
Then I roll the dough and cut the donuts with 1cm.

4. Second rise
I cover the doughnuts with film and let them rise. I don't think they ever double in size at this stage tho. Tested both 1h, 1h:15m, and 1h:30m:
  • at the one 1h level they look underproof with no ring created whatsoever
  • at 1h:30m they create the ring but with a huge air pocket occupying half of the doughnut.
1646758223553.png

Also tried other recipes with more Hydration, less sugar, water, etc. Always have the same result. So the issue should be on the proofing or the mixing.

At this time I really don't know what to test more, so any suggestions would be highly appreciated @Donutfreak @retired baker @Pullin @Norcalbaker59 @DoughnutSlinger and every other experienced member :)

Thank you so much in advance.

Reaction score
1) DDT: Desired Dough Temperature

It doesn’t matter you are proving at 20°C because you have no clue as to the finished dough temperature.

Mixing = Friction

Friction = Heat

Heat = Fermentation Rate

You must calculate the factors to ensure the finished dough temperature is within a specific range. That is called DDT.

There are 4 (5) Factors that DDT:

Room Temperature
Flour Temperature
Preferment Temperature (optional)
Friction Factor (mixer/kneading action)
Water (Liquid) Temperature

The baker can only control the temperature of the Water.

if you do not calculate DDT, then adjust the liquid temperature for it, the dough temperature is going to exceed the tolerance for donuts. You are incorrectly adding warm liquid thinking that is correct to activate the yeast. then when you mix for what 10 minutes or so, you adding friction heat.

Stick a thermometer in the dough after you’re finished mixing and check the temperature.

For a homemade batch DDT 76°F - 78°F (24.4° to 25.6° C)

For 1 gal (4 liters or more) 80°F - 82° F (26.7° to 27.8° C)

If your dough temperature after mixing is above DDT it will ferment to rapidly.

Over-proofed dough results in a number of issues: low volume; high grease absorption; pale crust color, coarse crumb; open grain; misshapen doughnut; air pockets and blistering; ruptured crust; short shelf life.

Your doughnuts have all the telltale signs of dough that has not been properly temperature controlled: coarse crumb; open grain; air pockets; misshspen.

I’ve detailed how to calculate DDT on this website. You can also google it.

2) Final proof at 95°F - 100° F (35°C - 37.8° C). Humidity 80% not to exceed 85%.

Reaction score
I'd say your dough is dead, 90 minutes proof is a long time for what should be a lively dough.
But theres so little information given, what type of yeast,? dry yeast sucks.

You cover with film and set to proof ...where ?
In a proper proof box you don't need film.
You don't indicate how long it mixes in the bowl, its very easy to burn the yeast up.

Its a donut, keep it simple, don't mix until it passes a window test, you're not making baguettes.
Just mix until its a smooth elastic dough, thats how we did it at dunkies.

Ask a Question