Breakfast cookie

Reaction score
Somehow I seem to be obsessed with cookies. Maybe it's me wanting to get some perfectly done. I stumbled on this one which I will share. Here goes. I welcome any suggestions for perfection or modifications.

Ingredients
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup of apple sauce
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups of old fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup shelled pistachios
1/2 dried cherries
1/2 cup flax seeds

1.Preheat oven to 350F
2.Place the butter , apple sauce and maple syrup in a bowl or standing mixer and beat until well combined.
3.Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
4.In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
5.Slowly add the dry ingredients into wet and mix to incorporate.
6.Fold in the pistachios, cherries and flax seeds.
7.Using a small ice cream scoop or 2 tablespoon measure, drop dough onto Slipat or parchment lined baking sheets. Use the palm of your hand to gently press down the cookies, as they do not spread during baking.
8.Bake for 15 minutes and remove to a cooling rack.

To Freeze. Before baking after step 7 place in the freezer for 1 hour and then transfer to zipper bags. When ready to bake add an additional minute to the cooking time.
To Freeze.After baking place in freezer bags and freeze up to 3 months.

Reaction score
This looks almost like the breakfast cookie recipe that I use, except I don't put pistachios in mine, I make them with almonds. They are great cookies to pack in the kids lunches for their mid morning snacks. They are even better when you drizzle some maple syrup over the top or make a maple syrup glaze to put on them.

Reaction score
Yummy! Pistachios and berries! I got to try that cookie! I totally love eating pistachios and berries! Those two go so well together, specially in a cookie! Do you think this cookie would be tastier if instead of pistachios we use pecans?

Reaction score
I wish I could answer your question definitively but I can't. You know I am a newbie when it comes to anything from scratch:). I can't even believe I am saying this still.

If I had to hazard a guess I am thinking it should be fine. In my case I was really thinking of using said pecans as they are easier to find around here.

Ask a Question