Caramel Slice Disaster

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I make a caramel slice once a week that works really well. Last week it was a complete disaster, had never turned out like this before.

The caramel layer almost looked like it had puffed up in the oven then sank down again, looked cracked, greasy and horrible.
I made it again today, taking extra care with the measurements, recipe etc. however had the same problem, with a rising, horrible caramel layer.

I can not think of anything I am doing differently as to why it is turning out so different to the many past times i have made it.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I was so annoyed didn't even want to take a picture. I will attempt it again and see if its the same result

Reaction score

Hi, here is the recipe just a a basic caramel slice. I will attempt again this week and upload photos if the same result occurs, hopefully it doesnt!​

Base​

• 1 cup plain flour, sifted

• 1/2 cup brown sugar

• 1/2 cup Coles Desiccated Coconut

• 125g butter, melted
  • Filling​

• 395g can NESTLÉ Sweetened Condensed Milk

• 2 tablespoons golden syrup

• 60g butter, melted
  • Step 3
    Make filling: Combine all filling ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, whisking, for 8 minutes or until golden. Pour over cooked base. Bake for 12 minutes or until firm. Cool completely. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, or until set.

Ask a Question