Carrot Cake from scratch :)

Reaction score
this is the recipe that I am using

http://www.inspiredtaste.net/25753/carrot-cake-recipe/

so far everything has went fairly well,i think :)

I'm going to have to buy another cake pan,if I'm going to keep baking cakes ,but i do have 1 lol

and this is my 2nd cake ever from scratch,I don't have any nuts or raisins to add to it,so hopefully it comes out good

I hope,I hope,I hope :)

Reaction score
here are some pictures,the first layer of the cake is in the oven :)
002.JPG

003.JPG

no pickles were harmed in this operation :)

I actually haven't made much of a mess,yet lol

I should have used my stand mixer when I combined the sugars ,oil eggs and stuff ,it is all ways something :)

if I'm going to keep baking,i need some more glass bowls to go along with some cake pans

Last edited:
Reaction score
the first layer looks good and smells good,now i have to wait for it to cool down and bake the other half
004.JPG

005.JPG

Reaction score
the 2nd one is cooling off, now the next big adventure is going to be making the Frosting :)

007.JPG

Reaction score
so do I add cocca powder if it is to thin ? :)

tick tock,,tick tock,tick tock

it takes a lot more time with just 1 pan lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
hmmm the Frosting is looking to runny

don't ya think ? :)

008.JPG

009.JPG

I've added a bunch of sugar to it all ready add some corn starch ?

hmmm cocoa powder then ? this is my first Cream Cheese Frosting encase ya'll haven't noticed yet :)

it does taste pretty good

Last edited:
Reaction score
it taste really good

it even sorta looks like the picture from the recipe lol

011.JPG
016.JPG

and no pecans

Reaction score
That looks lovely! How did it taste? Also what were you planning on using the cocoa powder for - never heard of that being used with a carrot cake!

will I need to refrigerate this cake ? I assume not

You'll need to refrigerate it because of the cream cheese frosting.

Reaction score
ut oh I didn't put it in the fridge :) will it still be good ? here are some pictures of it today,the frosting has stuck to the top very well,so evidently I have gotten the thickness right,it has gotten just a touch dry around the edges,I probably should have covered it in frosting

the Frosting did remind me why I don't like cream frosting much :) I meant to try that Flour Frosting Recipe and forgot too

002.JPG
006.JPG

it came out pretty decent,but flavor wise it is missing something for me,it is probably the frosting and I should have baked the cake batter a few minutes shorter and it would probably be a bit moister,the cake layers taste really good though

and I should have put more Frosting in the center too and I will have to work on getting equal portions in my 1 pan too lol or buy another one :)

Reaction score
I would have been happy without the frosting since none of us in the house care much for frosting or filling. I congratulate you though. I tried a carrot cake from scratch months and months ago and I thought it was horrible. Since that I plan to revisit Betty Crocker anytime I want a carrot cake. Her box cake was delightful.

Reaction score
I like carrot cake, but I can only take a small piece of it. If I eat as much carrot cake as I do a chocolate cake, I'd be sick. LOL

If you need to stiffen your frosting on this, you can grind up some pecans or almonds and put them in the frosting.
The ground up nuts will act like more sugar, and stiffen up the frosting, without actually adding sugar to it. It will also make the frosting taste that much better!

You don't have to put this cake in the fridge.....the way you do that is, add 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to the batter, AND to the frosting mix! No, you won't taste it in the final product, but it will sort of "pickle" the ingredients where they can be kept at room temperature for a few days without spoiling.....unless your house is naturally hot. You DO want to keep this in a covered cake box or something, in a COOL spot in the kitchen or pantry.
If it's going to be more than 3 or 4 days before it's entirely eaten, then I would suggest keeping it in the fridge.

And why were you mentioning cocoa powder for this???? Carrot cake does not use any kind of cocoa powder at all.

And I'm going to put another post on my "Bakers Secrets" thread....so be sure and look at that one!!!! It will help you out with your frostings if needed.;)

Reaction score
I love that you always take step by step pictures of what you're baking! I think it's a good way to chronicle the steps! I think the cake looks good, and I like what Chester said about thickening your frosting by using ground nuts instead of just adding more sugar! That's a clever tip.

Reaction score
I love that you always take step by step pictures of what you're baking! I think it's a good way to chronicle the steps! I think the cake looks good, and I like what Chester said about thickening your frosting by using ground nuts instead of just adding more sugar! That's a clever tip.
I agree on all counts.

Reaction score
the cocoa powder was a joke Chester :)

sadly I didn't have any nuts,I had all ready ate my supply of Pecans

well it sat out for days in a cake box,I ate the last piece last night and no stomach problems lol

Reaction score
the cocoa powder was a joke Chester :)

sadly I didn't have any nuts,I had all ready ate my supply of Pecans

well it sat out for days in a cake box,I ate the last piece last night and no stomach problems lol

I've never had a problem with cream cheese frosting on cakes, sitting out on the counter.....but I found out a few years ago, to "preserve" it in a non-cool environment, use vinegar in the mix!

I use a bit of vinegar in my frosting to cut the sugary sugar taste. Other than that, I really don't use it....because cake don't last long on the counter when I'm in the room!!!!! LOL
:D:D:D:D:D

Reaction score
what kind of vinegar and how much? I assume you won't be able to taste it

I've got some of the white distilled vinegar from the grocery store,would that work ?

dang,now I want a pickle

Ask a Question