Cream Cheese Icing Thin

Reaction score
I am having some issues with my cream cheese buttercream being too thin/runny. I've tried not beating the butter and cream cheese too long, I've also tried to add the cream cheese at then end and it still seems to get to thin.
I use 1/2 cup butter
8oz cream cheese
4-5 cups citing sugar
2tsp vanilla
Any suggestions would be helpful

Reaction score
I am having some issues with my cream cheese buttercream being too thin/runny. I've tried not beating the butter and cream cheese too long, I've also tried to add the cream cheese at then end and it still seems to get to thin.
I use 1/2 cup butter
8oz cream cheese
4-5 cups citing sugar
2tsp vanilla
Any suggestions would be helpful

Brand matters. Philadelphia brand cream is the original. The stablizers make it firmer and more consistent than other brands.

Temperature of cream cheese should be significantly colder than butter. Never use “room temperature” cream cheese.

Butter should be around 68°F

Use the whisk attachment to whip cream cheese to loosen, then add butter cubes a few at a time. Whip on med speed until butter is fully incorporated

Sift half of icing sugar over cream cheese butter mixture; whip on med-low to combine. Scrap down bowl; sift remaining sugar over mixture, whip med-low to combine

Reaction score
Brand matters. Philadelphia brand cream is the original. The stablizers make it firmer and more consistent than other brands.

Temperature of cream cheese should be significantly colder than butter. Never use “room temperature” cream cheese.

Butter should be around 68°F

Use the whisk attachment to whip cream cheese to loosen, then add butter cubes a few at a time. Whip on med speed until butter is fully incorporated

Sift half of icing sugar over cream cheese butter mixture; whip on med-low to combine. Scrap down bowl; sift remaining sugar over mixture, whip med-low to combine

Thank you so much I will try this!

Ask a Question