Disgusting Old Food Ads

Reaction score
Have you ever looked at old magazine ads for food and just thought,"That looks disgusting. I would never make that."?
I saw some of the old cooking ads on a website and thought they were pretty gross. Both cooking and food photography have come a long way.

d51f23a4ab1d1e0046b0f3c2468716c7.jpg

Reaction score
An entire cold meal in a cold brick of Jello. I guess serving hot meat and peas was too time consuming. Did I mention that everything in this dish is canned?

enhanced-buzz-12807-1362225720-1.jpg

Reaction score
This recipes are old, very old. Yes, they are disgusting. Del Monte canned vegetables were a staple in my home when I was a kid. I just get sick thinking about it. They were so waxy. I hated string beans. I did start to like string beans until I ate (reluctantly) homemade ones.

I don't know who dreamed up these recipes because they looking totally gross.

Reaction score
Those foods look really gross and it amazes me that people used to eat them! I also hate canned vegetables and will not touch them now as an adult. They were also a staple around my house when I was a kid. Canned vegetables are mushy and too salty, only fresh and frozen vegetables go on my family's plates now.

Reaction score
Oh gross! It's fascinating looking at old food ads, I'm such a foodie, so I love food history haha. Canned veggies are pretty nasty, and that jello looks disgusting too.

Reaction score
Those are the foods that someone will bring to the pot luck dinner. At the end of the night they will be the only thing still sitting on the table untuched after all the other food is gone.

Reaction score
Wow those old food ads really look bad. If somebody seat a dish in front of me that looked like those pictures my OCD would go into overdrive. There's no way in the world I could consciously eat a dish that looks like that, let alone applaud the person for a job well done. The Meal-In-A-Mould is the worst of all of them and it all comes out of cans that can last indefinitely.

Reaction score
Wow those old food ads really look bad. If somebody seat a dish in front of me that looked like those pictures my OCD would go into overdrive. There's no way in the world I could consciously eat a dish that looks like that, let alone applaud the person for a job well done. The Meal-In-A-Mould is the worst of all of them and it all comes out of cans that can last indefinitely.

I know, right. That block of unflavored gelatin with lunch meat and canned peas floating in it cannot possibly taste good. The lime cheese mold looks like a fungus.

Reaction score
I know, right. That block of unflavored gelatin with lunch meat and canned peas floating in it cannot possibly taste good. The lime cheese mold looks like a fungus.

As I re-examine those pictures I just realize that there is actual olives in the green beans. I can't believe people actually ate that, or that an ad agency approved the picture. As for the Jell-O with seafood salad in the middle, it reminds me of nuclear waste. I asked my mom if they really ate stuff like that she laughed and said no. She said those ads, look like something created long before she was born. Seeing as she was born in 1959, I wonder if she's telling the truth or to embarrassed to admit she ate something that looked like those ads.

Reaction score
Wow, it's amazing how disgusting all of those foods look!! The times have really changed and things have definitely come a long way. I wonder if years from now our food will be viewed like that?? Hmmm... It's something to think about.

Reaction score
Who on earth looks at these recipes and thinks, "Yes, this is something that we should advertise because people will want to make them!"? I mean jesus people, just use common sense. Those foods do not go well together!

Reaction score
After looking at those pictures of the food ads, that is gross! Yes, advertising food has came a long way for sure! I remember I used to be turned off from a certain hamburger when hardees would have a woman eating it and it dropped on her and she picked it up off her leg and ate it. Why that would always make me sick, I have no idea..just nasty maybe? lol

Reaction score
Would you eat this for $100? I think they would have to pay me $1,000 to eat it.

6f7d3c65e324720fcee4b95b9031f90c.jpg

Reaction score
You know darn well that little boy isn't going to eat that gelatinous fish pie.

907d02a1d2449460e7a804f90e535721.jpg

8cffc09ec2991659479674707a574dd2.jpg

Reaction score
You know, I'm just thinking, and someone older please do correct me if I'm wrong here, but where these ads trying to appeal to families that wanted to cook and bake some nice 'fancy' meals, but maybe didn't actually have the money to make these fancy stuff? Because a lot of this stuff seems to be 'Here's something that looks fancy, made from cheap stuff'

Reaction score
I can't believe that canned hamburger patties used to exist. It sounds like one step up from dog food.

5da37edc472faf45605ac2d9c914a866.jpg

Ask a Question