Does anyone still use applesauce to replace butter?

Reaction score
Does anyone still use applesauce to replace butter?

I saw that suggestion on the Food network years ago.
I tried it in a box cake. It tasted ok.
But I would hesitate to try it in a batter made from scratch.

Reaction score
I sometimes still use applesauce , but more often now I will use greek yougurt.I found a tip on line that said not to replace all of the butter just reduce it. This will give youbetter flavor and texture.

Reaction score
I use applesauce as my go to substitute, although I recently heard about the greek yogurt one too. I have not tried this method yet. Do you use plain greek yogurt or the honey kind?

Reaction score
I sometimes still use applesauce , but more often now I will use greek yougurt.I found a tip on line that said not to replace all of the butter just reduce it. This will give youbetter flavor and texture.

I love that idea. I could use that instead of butter or applesauce. Then that would give the batter a creamy texture, also.

Reaction score
I am thinking to do this just bought a jar but need to see which recipe to use or one where it is suggested how much to use.

hhh

Reaction score
I've actually never or heard or tired that before. I've always stuck to good old butter. Hmm, though I might try it, but I worry that it may change the texture of the cake, which would be a baker's worst nightmare.

Reaction score
I am thinking to do this just bought a jar but need to see which recipe to use or one where it is suggested how much to use.

You could make a pound cake using applesauce. There are so many cake batters that I've seen. Those direction said you could replace the butter with applesauce. However, I know for sure that you wouldn't use it an angel food cake, or devil food cake.

Reaction score
I actually prefer using pureed pumpking instead of apple sauce. It's the same idea, but the puree doesn't have the extra sugar that applesauce does!

Reaction score
I actually prefer using pureed pumpking instead of apple sauce. It's the same idea, but the puree doesn't have the extra sugar that applesauce does!

I use prune puree, but it adds extra sugar too. I have never heard of using pumpkin puree. I'm going to try the pureed pumpkin. I bet pureed sweet potato works just the same.

Reaction score
I've only used applesauce in those jiffy blueberry muffin mixes. It comes out super moist. I've heard that plain yogurt can work as well but I've never tried it before.

Reaction score
I use prune puree, but it adds extra sugar too. I have never heard of using pumpkin puree. I'm going to try the pureed pumpkin. I bet pureed sweet potato works just the same.

Yep, it sure does!

I like using pumpkin especially because I buy them up around Halloween, cook and puree a bunch, and then just freeze it all for the rest of the year. It's so easy and so, so, so cheap around that time of year (you can get a whole pumpkin for only a buck or two after Halloween).

P1000579.jpg

(The girls helping me bust a bunch open by breaking them on the ground, and then splitting them open to pull out all the seeds, etc).

Kas

Reaction score
The only time I ever heard of using applesauce as a replacement was when I was told to use it to replace vegetable oil. I have never tried that. In fact, the only time I use applesauce is if it is called for, or I add it to a Spice Cake box mix. But if I would say what I have replaced with a box mix, I have used milk instead of water and I have used cream cheese instead of the oil. I have yet to really substitute anything in a homemade cake.

Reaction score
I've heard of this being done. I'm scared to try substitutions which I may need to start trying because I have sat in my house before craving cake and not having any butter around but did have some applesauce. I should have just went ahead and gave it a whirl. Who knows I may have liked it better.

Reaction score
This is a thing?! I've never tried it before... does it leave some kind of appl-y taste to the final product? If so I may try it with cookies or cupcakes, just to see what it ends up like!

Ask a Question