Gluten-free Baking: Tips for Testing Doneness

Reaction score
I made this recipe from Glutenfree Gigi website. It called for baking 35 minutes at 350 degrees. When I used a toothpick it came out clean. however, when I bit into the ball it was completely raw. I put in the oven for another 35 minutes and I find it still not cooked all the way through. I also had this problem when I tried to make quick cinnamon rolls using gluten free biscuit dough. I roll out the dough, spread with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Roll up and cut. I placed the rounds in a round cake pan.

1. Do gluten free quick breads have a different texture compared to gluten quick breads?
2. How do I test for doneness?
TIA!
Nellie

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

Gluten free baking certainly can be tricky. Gluten free recipes tend to result in quite a different texture to their gluten-countaining equivalents, so you can't really apply the same rules. If you're not sure whether something is baked then it might be worth investing in a baking thermometer so you can check.

Ask a Question