Has anyone ever frozen un-iced cupcakes?

Reaction score
I'm sure all the experienced bakers here will tell me that they have frozen them quite successfully, and that they are just as perfect once thawed. Even though I am an experienced baker, I've never frozen any of my bakes - mainly because they never last very long in my house!

Anyway, I'd love to make up a couple of dozen cupcakes, some vanilla and some coffee flavored. Can anyone give me any tips on how to wrap them/box them in readiness for freezing, and do they taste just as good once they're thawed again?

Thanks.

Reaction score
My mother used to freeze un-iced cupcakes all the time. She would cool them completely and put them in zip lock bags. Then she could make just a small amount of iceing and frost them as needed. She was a big freezer person, and whenever she baked she would do extra for the freezer so she could put together a last minute dessert or a plate of goodies for a neighbor.

Reaction score
Thank you, evelynmcgregor. It's a great idea to ice in small amounts. I'm thinking 12 cupcakes divided and frozen in fours - at least we couldn't scoff them all so easily!

I'm only recently getting into freezing things for using ahead, and it's brilliant. I make my own bread, so I have about 6 loaves in the freezer at any one time. I'd love to have cakes in there ready to just thaw out for the weekend, it would save such a log of time and effort.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
I didn't know this was possible so that's interesting. I always thought they'd dry up or something in the process, but as you've said, about having a stash to just thaw out any when would be really handy!

Reaction score
Well, I made two dozen on Thursday, froze them in batches of 4, and took 4 out to defrost yesterday. They looked perfect when they defrosted - I was worried they might look a bit 'grey'! I made a small amount of buttercream icing, and I split it before adding flavourings to each. For the record I did 12 coffee flavoured, and 12 vanilla flavoured, and I took two of each out of the freezer to test both.

It was a well worthwhile experiment as the cupcakes came out of the freezer as perfectly as they went in, and there was no loss of texture to the cakes either. The only thing I would pay attention to before you serve is that they are at room temperature, and not still a little on the cold side. I think that would spoil them somewhat. Mine were at room temperature when we ate them, and they went down a treat.

Thank you evelynmcgregor for your tips - it spurred me on to try it! :)

Ask a Question