Have you ever been in a "Catfish" situation??

Reaction score
I know a lot of you have probably seen Catfish the tv show on MTV. For those who haven't, its basically a show about people who have fallen in love online and have never met the other person. Some people lied, have fake profile pictures, etc. So my question is..have you ever met some online who weren't what they said they were or do you know someone who has had it happen?

Reaction score
I haven't been in a Catfish relationship situation, but I've entered a writing contest on a website and then found out that the site owner was an underage kid who didn't really own a big company and had no intention of paying out the large cash prize to any of the writers who submitted writing to the contest.
On the internet, people can pretend to be anything, so you have to be careful.

Reaction score
I hate to admit it but yes. Seems there is a whole different world and moral code on line. I don't understand why people lie since the other finds out eventually.

Reaction score
Unfortunately my husband was catfished in college. Before he and I ever began dating or anything like that, we started out as good friends. In fact when I met him he had a girlfriend. He was dating a girl in Florida. He showed me several pictures and he talked to her all the time.
For Christmas, his family took a family vacation to Florida. He decided to surprise his girlfriend at her work and begged his family to drive three hours out of the way so he could surprise her.
When he walked into her workplace, he couldn't find her. Sadly for him, she had lied about who she was. She had used pictures of her cousin, to trick him into thinking she was someone else. When he confronted her, she thought the whole thing was so funny, like it was a game. She had lied so much about everything! He was incredibly hurt! The pain he went through was real, and it was very difficult for him. He had bought her gifts, sent money, ect. They had long conversations every night and to him, it was all very real.
After a few years later, he and I started dating. A few years after that, we got married. Let me just say, that girl never deserved him. My husband is incredibly sweet, romantic, kind and loving. He is the best thing that has happened to me! That girl should be incredibly ashsamed of herself for hurting him, lying to him, and using him.
Furthermore, anyone who plays these games online and pretend to be someone they are not is sickening.

Reaction score
Unfortunately my husband was catfished in college. Before he and I ever began dating or anything like that, we started out as good friends. In fact when I met him he had a girlfriend. He was dating a girl in Florida. He showed me several pictures and he talked to her all the time.
For Christmas, his family took a family vacation to Florida. He decided to surprise his girlfriend at her work and begged his family to drive three hours out of the way so he could surprise her.
When he walked into her workplace, he couldn't find her. Sadly for him, she had lied about who she was. She had used pictures of her cousin, to trick him into thinking she was someone else. When he confronted her, she thought the whole thing was so funny, like it was a game. She had lied so much about everything! He was incredibly hurt! The pain he went through was real, and it was very difficult for him. He had bought her gifts, sent money, ect. They had long conversations every night and to him, it was all very real.
After a few years later, he and I started dating. A few years after that, we got married. Let me just say, that girl never deserved him. My husband is incredibly sweet, romantic, kind and loving. He is the best thing that has happened to me! That girl should be incredibly ashsamed of herself for hurting him, lying to him, and using him.
Furthermore, anyone who plays these games online and pretend to be someone they are not is sickening.

It's disgusting that she put him through all that, but at least your husband is lucky to have you, because you appreciate and value him.
So at least he ended up with a good woman in the end. His ex will get her just desserts eventually.

Reaction score
I hate to admit it but yes. Seems there is a whole different world and moral code on line. I don't understand why people lie since the other finds out eventually.
That's what I don't understand, why lie in the first place only for the truth to be discovered in the end.

Reaction score
It's disgusting that she put him through all that, but at least your husband is lucky to have you, because you appreciate and value him.
So at least he ended up with a good woman in the end. His ex will get her just desserts eventually.
Thank you for the support! I do hope she gets hers one day! I hate that she hurt him so much! I'm glad it is all in the past, and that it happened years ago, but the hurt doesn't just go away. My husband had serious trust issues after that happened to him. It's so sad how easy it is for peope to lie and pretend to be someone they are not. They don't realize the long term effects it will have.

Reaction score
Yes, but it wasn't a big deal to me. I wasn't in a "relationship" with any of the guys I was talking with - it was more small chat/flirting, mulling over potentially meeting. I suppose I was the one being rather pushy about just meeting up in person to see if we clicked, and they were kind of giving me the run around, which I later found out why. Two of the guys were the exact opposite of the pics they sent me in just about every way imaginable, but they fessed up shortly before we agreed to meet in person. Both ended up being nice guys (well, the one was a little creepy, but it was a personality thing), we just didn't hit it off. The third person to do that to me was someone I had already met up with a few times, I don't know what he thought he was going to accomplish trying to act like he was an entirely different person - I recognized him immediately.

Reaction score
Yes, but it wasn't a big deal to me. I wasn't in a "relationship" with any of the guys I was talking with - it was more small chat/flirting, mulling over potentially meeting. I suppose I was the one being rather pushy about just meeting up in person to see if we clicked, and they were kind of giving me the run around, which I later found out why. Two of the guys were the exact opposite of the pics they sent me in just about every way imaginable, but they fessed up shortly before we agreed to meet in person. Both ended up being nice guys (well, the one was a little creepy, but it was a personality thing), we just didn't hit it off. The third person to do that to me was someone I had already met up with a few times, I don't know what he thought he was going to accomplish trying to act like he was an entirely different person - I recognized him immediately.
I've had situations like this myself where guys have lied about how they looked. I had a guy lie about his height, I told him I don't date guys shorter than me so he said he was 5'7 which is an inch shorter than me so I was okay with it but when I met him, he was like 5'3 and looked nothing like he was supposed to look.

Reaction score
Thank you for the support! I do hope she gets hers one day! I hate that she hurt him so much! I'm glad it is all in the past, and that it happened years ago, but the hurt doesn't just go away. My husband had serious trust issues after that happened to him. It's so sad how easy it is for peope to lie and pretend to be someone they are not. They don't realize the long term effects it will have.
I understand him having trust issues. It's hard to invest so mush time in to someone only to find out they aren't who they say they are. Its not right to play with someone's feelings and to accept gifts and lead them on knowing it's all built on lies. I had an ex friend do that to a guy who lived 10 hours away and he sent her money and other gifts. She held onto the lies for years, I haven't talked to her since 2009 so I don't know if she is still lying to him but I imagine she is.

Ask a Question