High Ratio Shortening for Cookies

Reaction score
Hello all, I came here in search for an answer to a problem I have and have found other threads very helpful so far. Anyway, I am in the UK and have acquired some high ratio shortening from Cardowan Creamies in Scotland. I thought these would make amazing cookies if I changed the baking margarine to the high ratio shortening. I had two problems, they were sickly sweet and they didnt spread when baked like they normally do. Is it a bad idea to use high ratio shortening for cookies?

Reaction score
It's complicated.

Unlike retail shortening, high ratio shortening contains emulsifiers to allow it to hold more liquid and sugar. It's 100% fat, so it contains no water; retail shortening, butter, and margarine all contain some water. Butter and margarine contain about 18% water. High ratio shortening has a higher melting point than butter and margarine.

So high ratio shortening holds more sugar; has no extra water to help dissovle sugar in early stages of baking, and sugar and water are necessary for spread; Iit's higher melting point inhibits spread because expansion of the dough depends on total water content, the melting of the fat, which in turn effects the timing of starch gelatinization and protein denaturation, which determine rise and spread.

Whenever you substitute an ingredient, you normally have to reformulate the recipe since different ingredients have different chemical reactions.

Reaction score
Hello all, I came here in search for an answer to a problem I have and have found other threads very helpful so far. Anyway, I am in the UK and have acquired some high ratio shortening from Cardowan Creamies in Scotland. I thought these would make amazing cookies if I changed the baking margarine to the high ratio shortening. I had two problems, they were sickly sweet and they didnt spread when baked like they normally do. Is it a bad idea to use high ratio shortening for cookies?

look for italien cookies made with shortening on youtube.
they've already figured it out for you.
Sugar conceals the shortening taste .

Ask a Question