Keeping Cookies Soft

Reaction score
Most of you might already know this, but putting your cookies in a storage container/ziploc bag with a slice of bread keeps your cookies nice and soft and moist! I thought I'd share this tidbit with you. Does anyone know another way to keep cookies nice and soft? I despise my cookies super crunchy, unless they are gingersnaps. This trick really helped make my cookies last!

Reaction score
I find that if you leave cookies on the baking tray to cool for about 5-10 mins aafter baking, before transferring them to a wire rack, You get a firm bottomed cookied but lovely and soft and chewy centre! nomnomnom :p

Or I'll mix up a batch of cookie dough, bake half and freeze the rest into icecube trays. Then when you want to bake the rest, you just pop the cubes out onto a tray and bake..(drop cookies.. or they tend to turn out square, hehe!) A batch stays fresher for longer because they've not been baked for as long.. :)

Thanks for the ziploc bag idea, might have to give that a go. Does it make the cookies smell a bit bread-y though?

Reaction score
My mom taught me that! That is what we always do when we bake our Christmas cookies. That bread trick is amazing! If you don't do the bread trick though and come across a hard cookie, pop it it in the microwave for not even 5 seconds. Then you have a warm chewy cookie again! That wouldn't work as well if it was for a gathering but would for just your enjoyment.

I never had an issue with my cookies smelling bread-y ! Cookies stay the same and taste great!

Reaction score
Ahh yes! I always leave my cookies out to cool before storing them. :]
And that is a lovely idea! I've never heard of storing cookie dough in an ice cube tray. So resourceful! I have got to try that someday. I haven't had an issue with the cookies being bread-y though, so I think you should be fine!

Sounds like a good idea. Microwaving baked goods always made them softer!

Reaction score
I find that if you leave cookies on the baking tray to cool for about 5-10 mins aafter baking, before transferring them to a wire rack, You get a firm bottomed cookied but lovely and soft and chewy centre! nomnomnom :p

Or I'll mix up a batch of cookie dough, bake half and freeze the rest into icecube trays. Then when you want to bake the rest, you just pop the cubes out onto a tray and bake..(drop cookies.. or they tend to turn out square, hehe!) A batch stays fresher for longer because they've not been baked for as long.. :)

Thanks for the ziploc bag idea, might have to give that a go. Does it make the cookies smell a bit bread-y though?

The cookie dough in ice trays is a genius idea! I am so going to have to try this. Haha I have all of those ice trays just waiting for cookie dough now.

I have also heard that you can use a saltine cracker in with cookies to keep them soft as well. I have always used bread though.

Reaction score
I've heard that about slices of apple as well. They would probably hold even more moisture.

Reaction score
So many interesting tips! I've never heard about apples before. That would be intriguing to try! They do seem like they'd hold moisture well.

Reaction score
Putting the cookies into an airtight container while they're still hot also works. But, I think the suggestions offered here will work better because, once the cookies cool off, the humidity will diminish, especially if you keep opening the container to feast.

Reaction score
I've never heard some of these tips before but I always prefer my cookies to be a bit gooey and soft, so I'll need to try some of these - the bread idea sounds like a particularly good one!

Reaction score
Adding more butter or oil to the batter/dough will also make soft cookies.
Not baking them fully will also make soft cookies.
Coating the cookie with chocolate or icing once it's cooled down will also keep a soft cookie soft in storage.

If you put your cookies into an airtight container once they have cooled from the oven, they should stay soft.

Soft cookies are ok on some, but I prefer hard, crunchy ones.

Ask a Question