Making a sourdough starter, liquid on the top

Reaction score
I'm using the Farmhouse on Boone recipe, with one cup flour (AP) and one cup water to feed it. It's been a week, it's doubling in size each day and has some bubbles. However about half the time there is maybe a finger of liquid on the top. Should I pour off, stir in, drink (jk)? Our house is cool, around 63 degrees. Thanks all!

Reaction score
I'm using the Farmhouse on Boone recipe, with one cup flour (AP) and one cup water to feed it. It's been a week, it's doubling in size each day and has some bubbles. However about half the time there is maybe a finger of liquid on the top. Should I pour off, stir in, drink (jk)? Our house is cool, around 63 degrees. Thanks all!

Hooch: liquid that forms on top AFTER starter has risen, bubbled a lot, and has fallen. It means it needs to be fed.

Water separation: liquid forms within the starter BEFORE it rises. It means it is weak.

Reaction score
Hooch: liquid that forms on top AFTER starter has risen, bubbled a lot, and has fallen. It means it needs to be fed.

Water separation: liquid forms within the starter BEFORE it rises. It means it is weak.
That is so helpful, thank you! "weak" as in it's normal and growing stronger, or as in something needs to change?

Reaction score
pour the water off and ditch it,
if you're just repleneshing , dump half the sour and replace with more water and flour.
Do it daily if possible, it takes a few days to develop, after 2 weeks of constant feeding it will really develop well and make goodt sourdough bread.

Ask a Question