Making box cake mix taste better

Reaction score
I read to make a box cake mix taste like it comes from bakery, add an extra egg, use milk instead of water and use melted butter instead of oil and double that amount. I did this for a chocolate cake, came out perfect. I tried strawberry yesterday and they did not fluff up, they was really flat. They tasted good but still wasn’t right. Anyone have any ideas?

Same thing with my buttercream, it wasn’t fluffy like at all. It just looked sad.
I’m not sure what happened. It may just been a bad baking day.

I’m new to this so thanks in advance

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :) When you say 'double that amount' which bit are you referring to? Also could you tell us a bit more about how you changed the buttercream, what changes did you make to it?

Baking is more of a science than an art; in a good recipe all the ingredients play a role and work in balance with each other. If you change something it has a consequence, sometimes good and sometimes bad. Not all box mixes are the same, so substitutions that work well for one mix do not necessarily work well for others unfortunately.

Reaction score
Well, I substituted the oil with melted butter. It called for 1/3c oil so I subbed it w 2/3c melted butter. It worked perfect on the chocolate. I’ll try again, I just think I had a bad baking day.
As far as the butter cream, it was the first time I ever made it. I’ve made chocolate and it was light n fluffy. This was just flat.
I’m starting to think chocolate is the way to go, lol

Reaction score
As far as the butter cream, it was the first time I ever made it. I’ve made chocolate and it was light n fluffy. This was just flat.

Could you tell us more about how you made the buttercream?

Ask a Question