one pan rainbow cake

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here, but I have a quick question. I was watching youtube videos and came across this one which shows a rainbow cake being made all in one tin.

(it starts at 2:39)

It looks like she's pouring the first layer, baking enough to solidify, then pouring the second, baking again, etc.. IIs there a name for this technique, and does anyone have any links or recipes for it? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @little_pickle! :)

The cake is by Ann Reardon of How to Cook That - here's the video and recipe:

https://www.howtocookthat.net/public_html/rainbow-steam-cake-recipe/

She calls it a 'steam cake' but I've never heard that term before - apart from things like steamed puddings, but that's quite different to this! I think it's a technique she developed herself - she uses steam here to keep the layers from drying out during repeated cooking.

Are you thinking about making it?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @little_pickle! :)

The cake is by Ann Reardon of How to Cook That - here's the video and recipe:

https://www.howtocookthat.net/public_html/rainbow-steam-cake-recipe/

She calls it a 'steam cake' but I've never heard that term before - apart from things like steamed puddings, but that's quite different to this! I think it's a technique she developed herself - she uses steam here to keep the layers from drying out during repeated cooking.

Are you thinking about making it?
I am thinking about making it! I wanted to make a rainbow unicorn cake for my daughters third birthday but I just don't like all the icing between the layers of a traditional rainbow cake; it's just too much. This looked ideal because it's so clean and compact. I asked my mom if she'd ever see something like Ann's rainbow cake and she just looked at me sideways and shook her head...lol.

Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea, I bet it would go down very well :) Certainly sounds like an interesting cake, if you do make it I'd love to hear how it goes!

Ask a Question