Orange-Cranberry Oat Bars

Reaction score
This is a pretty easy recipe, and it doesn't call for anything unusual, at least for this time of year, since many of us (here in the U.S., at least) keep one or more cans of cranberry sauce on hand during the holidays. I like that it uses marmalade, since I sometimes have an open jar that could easily be used in this type of recipe. I'm seeing more recipes that combine orange and cranberry, and I have to say I like the combination. This also uses quick oats, which I happen to have on hand right now.

Ingredients
  • dollar-green2.png
    2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • dollar-green2.png
    1 cup cold butter, cubed
  • 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • dollar-green2.png
    2 teaspoons grated orange peel
  • 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
  • 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
  • 1 cup orange marmalade
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and ginger; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the oats, coconut and orange peel.
  2. Place 3 cups of mixture in another bowl; stir in pecans. Set aside for topping. Press remaining oat mixture into a greased 15x10-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
  3. Combine cranberry sauce and orange marmalade; spread over crust. Top with reserved oat mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Orange-Cranberry Bars in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p147

Attachments

• orange-cranberry oat bars.jpg
    orange-cranberry oat bars.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:
Reaction score
These sound delicious and like a good snack since they're filled with oats. I really enjoy oat bars because I find they keep me going longer than a lot of other snack-type foods - just a lot more filling!

Reaction score
These sound delicious and like a good snack since they're filled with oats. I really enjoy oat bars because I find they keep me going longer than a lot of other snack-type foods - just a lot more filling!

It's funny, when I was a child, oatmeal was my least favorite hot cereal. Actually, it still is, after cream of wheat and cream of rice, maypo, etc. but I love baked goods made with oatmeal, and oatmeal cookies are one of my favorites, as well. I agree, the oats seem to settle my stomach and keep me full longer than many other things, and they seem healthier, as well.

Reaction score
Oatmeal is very good for you. The cranberries are also good for health and the urinary tract. I'm going to have to give this recipe a try. I've been trying to incorporate more health conscious recipes into my baked goodies.

Ask a Question