recipe asks for 9" tin I have 10"

Reaction score
Hi there

I am thinking to make this tart for Monday or Tuesday to take to my sil for eid day
The recipe she uses a 9" tin nut my tin is 10", will it make much of a difference, does it matter? I don't know how much to change quantities for 10".

Reaction score
I just go ahead and use the slightly larger pan if that is all I have. It will come out a bit thinner and you may need to check the doneness as the baking time nears it's end. There are a lot of times I do not have the exact size pan that is called for and the recipe has turned out just fine.

Reaction score
I agree with the above comment. I use different size pans all the time depending on the amount and thickness of the dessert that I personally want. It always turns out just fine. Good luck!

Reaction score
It should be fine. Your tart will just be slightly thinner because it will spread out a little more in the larger pan. It's not a huge difference. Just keep an eye on it ,because a thinner tart will cook more quickly.

Reaction score
I do not have my baking stuff with me here but there is a formula to help you get the ingredients that you need. I'll see if a quick Google can find it :)

You need to list your ingredients and then times them all by 1.2 e.g.

350G of Plain Flour - 420G Plain Flour

this only works for 9" to 10" - I cannot find the table on Google but I have a copy somewhere in my Baking things :)
------------------------------
I found an excellent solution to this problem without my table!

Find the area of your pan and follow this simple mathematical problem:

*AoP = Area of Pan

3.14 x AoP² (recipe pan)
3.14 x AoP² (your pan)

your pan / recipe pan = (numbervalue)

3.14 x 4.5² = 63.5 (9")
3.14 x 5² = 78.5 (10")

78.5 / 63.5 = 1.2 <--- the number you times ALL of your ingredients by

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yep I'd agree with the above, volume of a cylinder is pi x radius squared x height, therefore if you want to keep the height constant but increase the radius by half an inch (ie increase diameter by 1 inch) then you would need to increase your volume by 1.23.

Reaction score
Thanks people. I should have come here yesterday before I was making the tart. It turned out the recipe was not enough so I quickly made a bit more pie crust mixture as the original recipe was way to little to cover the sides of the tin. I will look at this formula for next time though.

Oh the tart looks so yummy, not tasted it yet but will be serving to my guests after lunch today.

Reaction score
You can use a 10" tin, whatever you're baking will be thinner and you will need to watch it really close to the end of the baking time.

Ask a Question