Storing Yeast

Reaction score
Hopefully this is a simple request, with a simple answer!

I have read elsewhere that if you buy Yeast ('instant'), you should keep it in a sealed container in the freezer. Some say in the fridge.

Do you keep all of it in the freezer, cand you uses it direct from the freezer, as in frozen ?? Is it easy to measure out frozen ??

Or do you keep a supply in a cupboard, and keep the rest either in freezer or fridge, and replenish you cupboard supply from the fridge/freezer ??

What do people do? What do you think. Just bought 500g and want to make sure I get the best of it!!

Reaction score

I have read elsewhere that if you buy Yeast ('instant'), you should keep it in a sealed container in the freezer. Some say in the fridge.

Do you keep all of it in the freezer, cand you uses it direct from the freezer, as in frozen ?? Is it easy to measure out frozen ??

Or do you keep a supply in a cupboard, and keep the rest either in freezer or fridge, and replenish you cupboard supply from the fridge/freezer ??

What do people do? What do you think. Just bought 500g and want to make sure I get the best of it!!

For dry yeast, store in an air tight container in the refrigerator 4 months AFTER opening or in the freezer 6 months AFTER opening. But in practice, active dry will last longer than this. Can’t speak to limits of storing instant because I never use the stuff.

You didn’t ask, but my opinion on instant yeast is the worst choice for yeast. The strain of yeast was developed for very quick development. You get a quick fast first rise, and and a meh second rise. There’s no control. And frankly, the fast rise just makes bland flavorless dough that is indigestible. The indigestibility is the more important issue, so many bakers forgo yeast for sourdough starter.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I will try the other variant next time I buy, to see if I can distinguish a difference! May ever try a sourdough starter, but not untill I am happy with the basic breads I have been making recently!

Reaction score

Hi ,

I have been using dried fast acting yeast for years. I also use it with an improver from 'Simply No Knead' a Company based in Victoria, Australia. I am not sure where you live. You could look at their website and it explains in detail what the improver does.

Anyway. I make everything from brioche, to hot cross buns, to every type of bread you can imagine and I have never had an bad loaf. You do not need to make a starter.

I have always stored the yeast and improver in the freezer and the current amount was a five kilo bag which I put in the freezer in 2017. It works perfectly ditto the improver.

I use it directly from the freezer.

Easy to measure out. It is the same as if you did not freeze it.

Don't worry. It is so simple and the dried yeast will produce beautiful bread products.

Ask a Question