Struggling with perfection in baking...

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only person who struggles with this - I hate serving up something that doesn't look perfect. Even if it tastes delicious, if it's not aesthetically pleasing I just get all kinds of embarrassed!

How do you all feel when it comes to your baked goods? If it doesn't look right (but tastes great!) how do you feel about serving it? I'll usually let my immediate family eat it but won't serve it at a party or won't let my husband take it into his work!

Reaction score
This incidence of struggling is already part of my baking adventure and in as much I want to bake the perfect way I know that it is not that easy to achieve especially I am not a professional baker and baking is only my hobby. But yes it is true my immediate family also are the ones who always eat any baking goods that I baked that doesn't look good but tastes delicious. Even though they are alsways my good critics especially the kids. And you are absolutely right I am ashamed also if I will serve baking goods that does not look right even though it tastes good.

Reaction score
Once you have created a recipe that makes mouths water and people swoon.........they really don't care about the look of it. Seriously.

But as with all things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......and we are our own worst critics!

There have been a few times I've tossed whole cakes in the trash because it wasn't going the way I wanted or ended up looking like I wanted.

Reaction score
It is a struggle for me to make the food I cook look presentable, but since the people around me knows how hopeless I am when it comes to being creative, I don't worry about it anymore. But, when it comes to struggling to make baked goods look perfect, I can't say much about it since I haven't really experienced that. I'm new to baking, and brownies are the only thing I've tried baking as of now. Personally, I think presentability is important to a baked good so this might become a great hurdle for me in the future.

Reaction score
This thread is very applicable to my husband because he is a perfectionist when it comes to food. Whenever he would bake cassava cake, he would always get the ingredients with the best quality. Would you believe that he would sort out the young coconut strips for the desired texture? If the strip is quite tough, he would discard it. And with the cassava itself, what he uses is the harvest from our garden. Yeah, just to be assured of fresh cassava, he has a small crop for his ingredients.

Ask a Question