Toasted Flour

Reaction score
How long does toasted flour last? I baked it last night and used it to dust cut up pieces of fruit bars for a recipe that I'm making today. Is it still safe to use the next day or is the benefit of baking the flour gone and must be used at time of toasting? I can't find how long toasted flour lasts anywhere.

Reaction score
Toasting basically kills all bacteria/funghi that might have been present in the fresh flour, so it will be safe for a while (most likely just as long as the original flour would have been).

That said, there is one major difference between freshly toasted and yesterday toasted flour. Freshly toasted will have close to zero water content, while one that you've toasted a while ago will have absorbed some moisture from air. Air is typically 40-60% humid and roasted flour will absorb a bit of it.

Assume that freshly toasted flour is completely dry, while yesterday's has 5-10% of water by weight and adjust other ingredients accordingly.

Reaction score
Toasting basically kills all bacteria/funghi that might have been present in the fresh flour, so it will be safe for a while (most likely just as long as the original flour would have been).

That said, there is one major difference between freshly toasted and yesterday toasted flour. Freshly toasted will have close to zero water content, while one that you've toasted a while ago will have absorbed some moisture from air. Air is typically 40-60% humid and roasted flour will absorb a bit of it.

Assume that freshly toasted flour is completely dry, while yesterday's has 5-10% of water by weight and adjust other ingredients accordingly.

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it and will still use the coated fruit bits. I was just worried about it be raw again. LOL I'm getting into baking more and more and so this may have been a silly question. Have a great day!

Ask a Question