Use interesting fillings in layer cakes

Reaction score
You can dress up any cake by using an interesting filling. Instead of just using frosting in the center, consider using chocolate mousse, raspberry gel, almond paste, or other yummy flavors.

Do you use other fillings or do you generally just use frosting?

Reaction score
Yummy! Some people use marmalade to fill their cakes here, I honestly dislike that a lot! But the fillings you mentioned sound so delicious! I'd love to give nutella a try tho =D Make a yellow cake and fill it with a thin layer of nutella.

Reaction score
I made a layered white cake. I used strawberry filling and iced it with your typical white/vanilla icing. But in the strawberry mixture I threw in blueberries and mixed it together before applying. It was actually a very turn out, I was impressed.

For other ingredients, I prefer the icing/topping to always be 'lighter' in consumption than the middle, or most people (and kids) generally eat the icing and butcher the cake for no reason. Give them a reason to eat the whole piece! hah

Reaction score
I've tried Nutella and it was good but one of these days I'd like to try using Biscoff as a layer cake filling. I think it could work on a vanilla or spice cake.

Reaction score
Yaaay that is good to hear =D I will surely try it next time ;) So bored of the usual chocolate icing, by the way, what is stopping you from trying it Biscoff? I'm sure the result will be amazing =D

Reaction score
Anyone have any "creamy" fillings instead of heavy filling recipes, something non-traditional? I was thinking whipped cream mixed with some vanilla powder. Something light and fluffy, but still tastes phenom.

Reaction score
I think a creamy filling could work. I'd try making one from heavy whipping cream rather than the ready to use whipped cream. I think you would need to refrigerate the cake for creamy fillings though, if it isn't served right away (and for leftovers, if any).

Reaction score
Definitely would need refrigerated which is to be expected of anything containing dairy products in my book. I see people leave this stuff out and then offer it and I always politely refuse, I had a bad experience one time.

Reaction score
i had made a layer cake only ones. and i used cream and strawberry jam. the top was sprinkled with icing suger (sifted) and it was wonderful :D

Ask a Question