Weirdest Dessert Thing You Ever Ate

Reaction score
Some people like to try new things, some people travel for a living and don't have much choice but to eat different types of foods. Some people like to enlarge their range of skills. For whatever the reason, we've all tried something different at least once in our lives.

Is there something that you've ever tried that you just found to be a weird dessert?
What was it? What did it taste like to you?

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Reaction score
I'm not TOO adventurous when it comes to food, but I will try something once to see if I like it or not.

Baklava has always looked.......well, gross to me. I've heard coworkers over the years praise the awesomeness that is Baklava, over and over and over again.

After some years of turning it down, I finally decided to try it. And it was as gross tasting as it is gross looking to me.

Not by far, the weirdest food I've ever stuck in my mouth, but the weirdest dessert I have ever tried.

I have been offered Baklava several times over during the past years since I first tried it. And I will take a small nibble because people say "Oh, you haven't had MY Baklava"........ Although appearances differ and ingredients might be a little different, its still gross to me. And for someone who likes nuts, I find it weird in itself that I don't like something with nuts in it.

1371591027843.jpeg

Reaction score
How odd that you don't like Baklava! Is it the taste or the texture?

I think the weirdest dessert I have ever had was at a very fancy restaurant here in the UK - we did a tasting menu where you don't pick the courses. It was a tube of chocolate, filled with a caramel (ok so far...) served with salted goats milk ice-cream!! On it's own, the ice-cream was weird. However with the sweetness of the caramel it was delicious! Totally took me by surprise.

On a similar note, I remember once having a brownie that came served with apple sorbet - again I was pleasantly surprised, it was yummy. The light tartness of the sorbet cut through the heavy sweetness of the brownie.

Reaction score
How odd that you don't like Baklava! Is it the taste or the texture?

I think the weirdest dessert I have ever had was at a very fancy restaurant here in the UK - we did a tasting menu where you don't pick the courses. It was a tube of chocolate, filled with a caramel (ok so far...) served with salted goats milk ice-cream!! On it's own, the ice-cream was weird. However with the sweetness of the caramel it was delicious! Totally took me by surprise.

On a similar note, I remember once having a brownie that came served with apple sorbet - again I was pleasantly surprised, it was yummy. The light tartness of the sorbet cut through the heavy sweetness of the brownie.

I love flaky pastry, so it wasn't the pastry.
The texture was ok. What I didn't like, in all of the different kinds I tried, was that sticky caramel stuff mixed with the nuts....as well as some of the nuts used. So far, the only nut I hate is Hazelnut. ICKY!

That sticky sweet stuff with the nuts just doesn't go together. And with that off taste, together with the pastry crust, it just tastes like cardboard soaked in watered down cheap sugar syrup.

I don't know that I've ever had goats milk. I try to stay away from animal products as much as possible, although I'm not vegan by any means.

Brownies on the other hand......mmmmm. I think the only brownies I don't like are the processed ones you get in boxes, like Little Debbies. Those are just beyond gross. 7-11 here probably makes THE best produced brownie I've ever had. The only thing better is my own special brownies. Ha ha ha

Reaction score
Having a Japanese mother, I ate foods that were very foreign to my friends. Our friends thought we were weird because we snacked on things like squid and dried cuttle. That was before Americans ate calamari.

Desserts were different, but I love them to this day. Well maybe not all of them.

Yokan a jelled confection made of azuki bean paste, agar, and sugar. I still love yokan.
4D91F3F0-0DCC-4898-BB05-78DD38037365.jpeg

Daifuku (aka mochi). The shell is made from sweet white rice and the filling is sweet azuki bean paste. This is my hands down favorite. I actually make a homemade daifuku. The American version of this is filled with ice cream and it’s also called mochi. Whole Foods recently set up a free standing freezer full of ice cream mochi. Unfortunately they addwheat flour to it so I can’t eat it:(
F4023253-5A9F-4342-A8A5-00647F5D635E.jpeg

Kinako, roasted soy bean flour. This is used for both sweet and savory. So it’s used to cover daifuku. I used to love this is a kid, but not so much as an adult.

F3F60982-BB23-4FF3-B200-DC0BFBB593C2.jpeg

I don’t know what this one is actually called in Japanese. Probably because I don’t like this one. The sauce has a jarring sweet and tanging flavor.
4B3F3B7F-8558-436C-98D0-99ED8A5B171A.jpeg

Reaction score
Mmmm I really enjoy mochi :) We had our honeymoon in California, and I have very happy memories of sitting outside in the Japanese gardens in SF drinking tea and eating soft mochi. Heaven! My husband hates them, so more for me :D

Reaction score
I like Asian foods myself, except for the really "out there" things like blow fish and black ink pudding....YUCK!

But I've had a few Japanese desserts in my time. I can't say I remember what they are exactly, but I do remember they aren't very strong in flavors or sugar, so they have very little taste to me. I do remember one of them was a small white ball with spine looking things on it. It reminded me of a tiny white urchin.

Reaction score
Baklava has always looked.......well, gross to me.

I had my first Baklava this week and I guess I enjoyed it but I don't think I'll order it again. It was just completely cinnamon and sugar flavours, and I'm not too fond of cinnamon

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question