What do you call the decoration on the top of a cake or cupcake? Icing or frosting?

Reaction score
I usually always call it frosting at my house. It be cool to see what everyone calls it!

Reaction score
We call it icing at home even though sometimes it doesn't get onto the cake-- sneaky little fingers. Hmm, is there a reason why there are two different names for it?

Reaction score
My mom used to tell me that you ice a cake, but you frost a cookie. Even if the stuff comes out of the same container, my mom calls it something different.

Reaction score
I actually use them interchangeably- I once thought they were something completely different when I was a kid :p

Reaction score
I grew up in New England and out there it was called frosting. In the Midwest, I've only heard it called icing. The same goes for the west where it's icing.

Personally I call it frosting and people look at me funny. I manage though.

I actually use them interchangeably- I once thought they were something completely different when I was a kid :p

Don't feel bad. I thought fondant was another word for frosting/icing. I was way off.

Ask a Question